TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

installing coil springs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2018 at 4:54pm
Stephen,
  I've sent a PM with the info you requested. Yes, it's possible to remove/install the front springs without the weight of the engine, you just need some other form of ballast. A couple of very hefty friends, or, as I did, several concrete mix bags and one hefty friend. I sent my phone # with the PM, just call if you need clarification or encouragement. The spring tool will be on it's way to you on Monday. No need for money, you just send them back when done.

Terry
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp (X3)
68 Jav, 72 Jav 401/4 sp project (son-in-law)
72 Jav SST 360/727 (daughter)
Garryjav2 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Garryjav2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 8:31am
the ones that galvins sell are mine. I am starting on a new batch next week, he should have them back in stock by the end of sep.

Garry
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:31am
With the engine and transmission out it's easy to remove the springs in a trunnion car without compressing them as there isn't much tension on them. However to reinstall them they have to be compressed. I take them to a spring shop which compresses and bands them for $40 a pair. You can then put them in position, bring up the lower control arm/trunnion to hold them in place, then snip the steel bands.
1969 AMX 290 (first car)
1971 Hornet SC/360
1977 Levi's Hornet AMX
AMO# 983
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic