TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Installing a 727 Torqueflite

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing a 727 Torqueflite
    Posted: Jul/30/2015 at 5:23am
Ok, I did several searches and went back through 80 some pages. Soooooooo
There are a few discussions and some information on what is needed but no details
I want to convert a Column shift BW tranny to a 727 Torqueflite.
Yes I have a post 72 360 Engine and a 74 Torqueflite. Connection of tranny to engine should not be an issue. 
Obtaining a  Speedo is not an issue.
Modifications to the tranny mount crossmember should not be an issue
I am hoping someone has photos and/or specific information on how and what dimensions of the shift rod modifications were completed.
Also what yolk was used for the driveshaft.
My car has the original BW tranny and driveshaft.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2015 at 6:42am
1. Are you wanting to keep column shift?? If so then you need to make a new piece of linkage between column shift bell crank and trans shift position arm.
2. Yoke is standard Mopar 727.
3. 727 is much longer then BW, so you need to shorten the driveshaft the difference in length between the two transmissions.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2015 at 3:37pm
what is the car?   think you need the crossshaft out of a 72 up car.
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2015 at 4:50am
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

what is the car?   think you need the crossshaft out of a 72 up car.

70 Javelin
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2015 at 4:52am
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

1. Are you wanting to keep column shift?? If so then you need to make a new piece of linkage between column shift bell crank and trans shift position arm.
2. Yoke is standard Mopar 727.
3. 727 is much longer then BW, so you need to shorten the driveshaft the difference in length between the two transmissions.

Ross,

I do want to keep the column shift. So I am hoping someone has detailed measurements or photos of the modifications. It certainly would help makes things much easier.
Murphy's Law:

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2015 at 6:14am
Well, here's the difficulty of keeping the column shift. You have to keep the ratios of the arm lengths of the column and the trans, while adjusting for the different movement between the BW arm and 727 arm, and any arms between. Start by measuring the length of the BW and 727 arms from center of pivot to center of where the linkage connects. If they are the same you still may have a problem, they would need to move the same amount of arc also. If the arcs are different (number of degrees the arm moves) the shift quadrant (where it reads on the column) will be off. The column will move a bit more than shown, as the detents are on the trans, the pointer will just be off.
Frank Swygert
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2015 at 7:46am
Farna is spot on. I did one and didn't take any photos. Sorry
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2015 at 4:37pm
Let me tell you this much with regard to this mod. I just did a 904 to 727 change in my 1970 Javelin (console shift). While it is not column shift the premise should be the same. You may be able to look up the shift lever for the BW to see if there was a difference in the part number between a column shift and a console shift. If there is only one part number and no notes in the parts book about a column shift it is fairly safe to say that the BW transmission shift lever has the same throw length for the column shifter as the console shifter. Therefore, what I am about to say should be correct. For me, the 904 went right in (out of a 1973) with only modifying the linkage using the shift lever that came on the 904 stock as it was straight out of the 1973 Javelin with console shifter. Furthermore, the throw length of the 904 lever was perfect to match up with the stock console shifter which was previously responsible for shifting the old BW trans. The only mod that we had to make was to drill new holes in the trans mount and lengthen the shift rod. Now, when I just changed to the 727 it threw the gate pattern way off. However, the 727 shift lever was also around an inch shorter that the one that was on the 904. Thank goodness that the two shift levers were interchangeable as what I selected to do was to use the shift lever from the 904 on the 727 which in turn corrected my throw length and the gate once again aligned perfectly. Hope that helps.

In case you need to know.
1970 Javelin with 904 = 50" driveshaft center to center
1970 Javelin with 727 = 46" driveshaft center to center

Standard mopar 727 slip yoke but uses an adaptive u joint to match up to the driveshaft.
Oz_Bren View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oz_Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2015 at 10:53pm
I'll be doing a similar conversion soon. Are any mods required to the floor tunnel on a 68 Javelin for the post 72 360/727 combo to fit?

idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2015 at 12:08am
No...I installed a 401/727 combo in my 69 AMX using the stock trany crossmember with a 72 up 727 trany mount....
APD has the correct speedometer cable others may have it too...the only real mod was  a new hole needed in the tunnel for the speedometer cable to the trans.....I am using a B & M floor shift.....
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic