TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Inside the torque tube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClassicCustom400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2015 at 9:28pm

Here is the exploeded view from the parts book with photos of a rebuilt torque tube.

Note: Rebuilt Torque Tubes are no longer completely blasted and painted, greatly reducing the price since this photo was made.

Edited by ClassicCustom400 - Nov/16/2015 at 9:31pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2015 at 5:43am
The parts book photos shows the same illustration as the 1962 TSM, with six bolts at the front. I've only seen four bolt front flanges on 63-66 models, haven't been under a 62... has anyone? Do the 62s use a six bolt flange? Maybe 62 V-8 only? Just curious... I'm pretty certain the 63-66 V-8 uses the same four bolt flange as the 63-66 six cylinder models, possibly the same tube with just a different shaft inside. Length could be different though. 
Frank Swygert
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2015 at 11:11am
Both my v8 65's are 4 bolt.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
ClassicCustom400 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClassicCustom400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2015 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

The parts book photos shows the same illustration as the 1962 TSM, with six bolts at the front. I've only seen four bolt front flanges on 63-66 models, haven't been under a 62... has anyone? Do the 62s use a six bolt flange? Maybe 62 V-8 only? Just curious... I'm pretty certain the 63-66 V-8 uses the same four bolt flange as the 63-66 six cylinder models, possibly the same tube with just a different shaft inside. Length could be different though. 

Not sure on the 62s.

Torque Tubes: Classic, Marlin, Ambassador:
1963-66 V8 largest diameter, non-replaceable center carrier bearing.
1964-66 232
1965-66 199 Different than 232 tubes in length, diameter, and rubber flange.
dterrillon View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dterrillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2017 at 6:23pm
1965 Marlin 327 Auto

I have a new "gasket" for the front (transmission) of the torque tube and I have scaped off part of the rubber but I am not sure how to proceed as the new gasket seems much larger than the bit of rubber I took out, can I/do I remove the trunnion to allow the gasket to fit over the end of the torque tube ? Any help would be appreciated. 

Have had many issues with this car, ThanksOuch
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2017 at 5:25pm
I don't know where that six bolt flange illustration comes from, or if it was ever used. Could have been a last minute production change, pre-production model(s) used for TSM photos may be the only one(s)to have it.

dterrilon... what does the "gasket" you bought look like? Is it square or rectangular, or is it round? The round one is made for the earlier cars.

But let's take it from the top...  The flange that bolts to the transmission "floats" on the end of the tube, it's not welded to it. IIRC the rubber is fused to the inside of the flange. The tube itself is "belled" on the end so the flange won't pull off. The rubber is actually on both sides of that bell end -- the gasket should have a groove in it that the bell fits in. With the rubber scraped off as you indicate you've done, the flange should easily move on the tube, but won't come off.

At the factory the end of the torque tube is attached as a unit. You can see the welded joint about 6" back from the end. That end is assembled with the rubber fused on, then slipped on the tube and welded on. Galvin's makes a replacement tube (you send yours as a core) with new rubber.

Now, you MAY (should, I'd think) be able to use the older style -- which might be what you have. As long as it fits the end of the tube (the belled end of the tube) it should work. You will have to trim the round sides square to fit just inside the flange. The flange will hold the rubber in shape as it is sandwiched between the trans and the flange. Don't trim the rubber back and further than you have to though. You want it to be a snug fit inside the cavity. 
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2017 at 5:27pm
This is why you need a TSM if you plan on keeping the car!! $30-75, and the best money spent!
Post photos of what you have if you can.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2017 at 10:47pm
i'll second that... the TSM is pretty much required reading on a 60 year old chunk or iron...

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2017 at 1:38am
Farna, you nailed it this time; that is exactly correct... he doesn't need to buy anything, he's just unaware of the slip coupling on the rear of the driveshaft...leaving the tube bolted on to the pumpkin ...unbolt the tube from the axle and you'll see (its easy to understand when you see it)
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2017 at 3:20pm
The chap who sells the trunnion for the earlier cars
https://www.nashramblerrubber.com/
told me it won't fit my 63, and I should buy one from Galvins.
Galvin sell the trunnion alone, or the recon unit.

If the trunnion is essentially a sandwich, hard to see why I would need to buy the whole tube.

Ivor

edited to correct year of car.

Edited by 990V8 - Aug/10/2020 at 8:58am
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic