TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Inner & Outer Tie Rods 70 Javlein

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote einbier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inner & Outer Tie Rods 70 Javlein
    Posted: Jun/22/2017 at 7:56pm
Ok I am a screw up. LOL. I removed all of my tie rods and sleeves to replace with new and I cant remember which side came off of driver or passenger side. I have no starting point. How do I roughly set up the tie rods. I have replaced inner and outer and sleeves. The car is in air off springs sitting on jack stands under unibody/subframe. Need to get fairly close till I can get to a shop for alignment. Does it need to be on the ground or in the air? Thanks in advance. Where to start how many threads showing etc.

Jeff
1970 Javelin Mark Donohue
1970 Hornet Shirley Shahan
(Tribute)

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2017 at 8:14pm
One thing I would do is look at the original parts if still available. You can guess how far to adjust the inner and outer with the threads. The threads should be cleaner where the adjuster sleave was covering them. I know one side may be a wee different, but it will get you in a good start point.

With the wheels on the ground would be best as full travel down will cause toe out when weight is on the suspension.

It is safer to have a wee toe in, but toe out can force you to over steer. If your alignment shop is within a 10 mile area, taking a road instead of freeway will be safe enough as long as 40 MPH is not exceeded. Wear will be at a minimum by not going too far too fast.

You can drive around the block to see how the car tracks going forward and reversing. In an clear area like a parking lot.

As long as you don't have to fight the wheel from turning left or right, you are ok for eyeball.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2017 at 10:54pm
You can make some toe plates out of 2x4s.   with that and 2 measuring tapes, or even 1 tape you can set the toe.

If it wasn't for the small bulge at the bottom of the tire, you could set the 2x4 right up against the sidewall, and it would be parallel.   Cut 4 short 2 inch blocks, place them at the end of each 3 foot 2x4, so that it will elevate the 2x4 above the bulge.   
Just lay the 2x4s against the outer sidewalls of the front tires, and measure between them front and rear of the tire. And you get the toe.
I'd try to keep the toe in ( that's narrower at the front) to 1/8th inch or less.

Of course these need to be straight 2x4s ,  you'd be surprised how twisted and curved some of the cheap ones are.

I do all my alignments myself,  I've got metal toe plates, camber gauges,  and a tram gauge I made myself for rear end alignments, etc.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2017 at 8:28am
If you want to set alignment toe you can easily do it with string. Clean the back of the rear tire tread around the vertical center, tape a piece of non-stretchy string to the rear of the tire vertical centered, then pull the string forward across the center of the rear wheel all the way across the center of the front wheel and look at where the string touches the front tire, if the string touches the rear of the tire first you have toe in, if the string touches the front first you have toe out. Be sure your vehicle is parked on a level surface, the tires are properly inflated and the steering wheel is centered. It is easiest to string both sides and just go from side to side. I do this to all my cars after replacing tie rods and have never had abnormal tire wear.

Tony

Edited by fasttony - Jun/23/2017 at 9:01am
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2017 at 9:24am
Stringing only works on cars whose front and rear track is exactly the same,  or very close to it.

There's over a inch difference between the front and rear track of a Javelin.
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2017 at 10:51am
That should be easy to correct for, if the vehicle front wheel spacing is narrower then measure the distance from the string in to the front wheel, if the front spacing is wider tape correction shims to both areas of the rear wheel where the string is pulled over.

Tony
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2017 at 5:44pm
 Yes, that's true,   but a lot of people assume the front and rear track of their car are the same.

Very few cars are.

I used to have spacers on my rear wheels on my circle track car so the front and rear track was close enough that I could quickly string the car and check alignment.   But then the track outlawed wheel spacers.  
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2017 at 6:10pm
 I learned the string alignment method from stock car racing also I have friends that raced local short tracks, if a racing incident happened during practice or heat race where the toe was out they would string it, if an incident happened during the race they had to live with it, any method that gets the toe set enough so the car could be driven to a shop would work.

Tony
einbier View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote einbier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 8:46am
Thanks for all the inputs, off to work on it today i.m sure I'll get it close now. Hopefully be able to go to a local show tomorrow.

Thanks again 
Jeff
1970 Javelin Mark Donohue
1970 Hornet Shirley Shahan
(Tribute)

ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 10:51am
Seems there is two of us dealing with the same basic issues. I am also in the process of setting up my alignment on a 70 today.

I have the tie rod thing sorted out, but my steering wheel is 180 out. How do I turn that around? The rag joint only works one way, but the wheel does not seem to be able to be flipped around because of the horn assembly.

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic