TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

indy aluminum 401 block reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

There was a failed one posted to the interwebs at one point,
 if I recall correctly the mains ripped out of it.

I have no idea if this was an earlier, lower quality version, or not or ?

I found this

http://theamcforum.com/forum/aluminum-block-split-in-half_topic63233_page1.html

and this:

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=906698

it does NOT seem to be confirmed that this 500 CID Aluminum AMC engine was actually an INDY,

I believe I have the magazine it was printed in "somewhere".
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
garland performce View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garland performce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 7:01pm
I have one fresh from machine shop waiting on piston
Had cam tunnel bored out to 54mm in a cnc block machine
They said aling hone checked dead on and had it torque plate honed
The shop said looked like a nice piece
Before I sent it out for work I did put my torque plate on each side with out gaskets to make sure sleeves was fully set
Lenni AMC View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lenni AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 5:35am
I would like to see pics of the split AMC block 

Also how about Garland Performance to start a tread when assembling the AMC aluminum engine ???
AMC Gremlin w/401
6.212 @ 117.01 - 1/8 Mile
9.785 @ 133.11 - 1/4 Mile
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCikyNqrfpMB8VzLd910Hkhg

https://rbjracing1.wixsite.com/website
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 6:06am
Originally posted by SirDigger SirDigger wrote:

Where is the diffrence of the mold for an aluminum Block or an Iron block?

The diffrence can just be the dimmensions(the alu block would need some more thickness/material at some places, and maybe some other mold material due to the fact that cast iron is poured at an higher temp)

The Main Diffrence should be the machine costs, due to the higher wear machining cast iron compared to aluminium. 

The OTHER thing is, aluminum expands and contracts at a different rate than iron. So if you're casting, say, aluminum valve covers [saw a write-up in a car mag awhile back on doing that], you have to make the mold oversize to allow for the higher rate of shrinkage/contraction of aluminum.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
md1970jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md1970jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 6:22am
Wouldn't the two different metals cause galvanic corrosion to ?
stickshifter View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote stickshifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 7:22am
This is what I posted 4 years ago.  I believe the quality of the machining has gone up since an AMC guy is now doing it.

Heads:
Good
1) They can be made to flow in the 390 to 400 cfm range
2) They do work.
3) Go with the -1 or CNC 300 flavors if really racing it.
4) Use T&D hardware and they become a good race head.

Bad
1) Castings can have a fair amount of core shift. I just had one head welded due to this. A friend has had both of his head welded.
2) Not much material, almost none, between the seats.
3) Castings are not as high quality as Edelbrock.
4) Deck surface finish not perfect.
5) Valve cover mounting holes are not in the correct location

Blocks (All of these issues were found on two blocks produced at about the same time)
Good
1) So far they seem able to handle decent power.
2) Nice main caps and good studs
3) Castings are OK.
4) They're aluminum, you can fix them

Bad
1) Main bores were machined to big block Mopar size which is .002" bigger than AMC 
2) Cam bearings are "adjusted" in place for cam to fit. The block bore sizes generated between .000" and .006" press. This makes the bearings all screwed up so they just sand/ream/ or what ever to get the cam to fit.
3) You must do some interesting machining if you want to run bushed lifters.
4) Oil pan mounting holes are not all in the correct locations.
5) One bell housing bolt hole and one head bolt hole are drilled through into the water jacket.
6) Not all bolt holes are tapped to correct depth
7) Rear bell housing surface is not square to crank center line.
8) Crank center line is .030" out of position from locator dowels
9) Sleeves sink into block ~.005" after a couple heat cycles
10) Water hole locations in block deck surface do not match/line-up with those in the heads

This list is everything I can remember at this point.

The blocks and heads work. The best advice I can offer is to limit how much work you have Indy do and double check any and all work that they do perform.

7.03 @ 196 mph
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 9:30am
Originally posted by 401jim 401jim wrote:

Put together a Indy block for a friend and he loves it. NO issues either. All measurements were just within .0001. Now that's worth a purchase from the Indy folks.

I am always extremely impressed by such fine craftsmanship. It's so rare and valuable in an age of quick buck throwaway designs.

it does NOT seem to be confirmed that this 500 CID Aluminum AMC engine was actually an INDY

Try again. The legendary 511.12" Indy Block American is a 1 of 1 product featuring the IC-401 aluminum block as the base model for a 4.375" max bore and a forged 4340 steel internally balanced crank with a 4.25" max stroke, 6.200" H-Beam rods with the entire rotating assembly producing up to ~840HP @7400 and ~700LB-FT @5800 firing off 2.250/1.81 valves in precision CNC 70cc chambered heads at a whopping 14.00:1 compression. This is not some low buck stroker toy you can run daily on pump gas and I would be real leery of dumping in a cam shorter than 300 duration without experiencing serious timing issues or low ceiling power caps.

Also, NOT my cup of tea. I'm supposed to be doing the Indy thing this Spring but like always, stupid family crap keeps getting in my way full-stop. I'll have to wait until September to start building. I've been going over the relative test data yesterday and I'm not really sure why I didn't see this thread until today. I'm having issues identifying the deck height for this engine and a compatible list of hyper vs forged pistons to put in a 4.165" bore with the traditional .927 pin diams while keeping the compression under acceptable values. I have found TWO forged sets and don't like:

ICON IC759KTD-040 Featuring a 1.561 Compression distance and +4.80cc dish
MAHLE Powerpak SBC550165F05 Small Block Chevy kit featuring 1.550 distance and a +5.00cc dish

THIS IS THE BEST WE'VE GOT...Shy of boring out the sleeves and adding some other forged kits, including the Diamond and Sealed Power kits issued by Indy. I like everything about these engines but the crank/pistons/cam/rocker/intake recipe. The rotating assembly is rock solid but I really want to see some flat top pistons in these things and drop on a 8-71.
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 9:39am

A horror story that comes to mind. While discussing the Indy block and head engine that Berry Allen was creating he stated that he would be so glad when he finally overcame the issues he encountered. Once completed and while dyno testing a valve seat became dislodged doing major damage with debris circulating throughout by way of the intake manifold. I understand the block was salvaged by replacing the necessary sleeves, but many parts were destroyed. 

Like already stated, it's not unusual the find patchwork done due to core shifting. I can't imagine another company resorting to welding their parts due to poor castings instead of scraping the faulty pieces? My Indy heads had the accessory bolt holes drilled through into the oil returns at each end, welded up intake port that was crudely finished and valve cover bolt holes out of whack.

We AMC enthusiast are essentially a captive audience, but can't imagine the Mopar crowd that is their main market tolerating such rough components.  

SKeown

Edited by SKeown - Feb/21/2017 at 9:57am
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

Originally posted by 401jim 401jim wrote:

Put together a Indy block for a friend and he loves it. NO issues either. All measurements were just within .0001. Now that's worth a purchase from the Indy folks.

I am always extremely impressed by such fine craftsmanship. It's so rare and valuable in an age of quick buck throwaway designs.

it does NOT seem to be confirmed that this 500 CID Aluminum AMC engine was actually an INDY

Try again. The legendary 511.12" Indy Block American is a 1 of 1 product featuring the IC-401 aluminum block a......

Ok,
I'll "try again"

Reread my words 
There was no confirmation that it was an Indy (Cylinder Heads) Block.
That doesn't mean it wasn't an Indy (Cylinder Heads) Block,
it means that I could find no confirmation that it was.

And yes, there were other Aluminum AMC V8 blocks cast over the years,
AMC'S own Indy program (not Indy Cylinder Heads) made some,
I believe Herman Lewis had some cast, and it probably didn't stop there.

Having seen the picture,
I do believe the engine that broke in half was an Indy Cylinder Heads block, 
but since I posted that it was originally without confirmation by anyone who was there,
I wanted everyone to understand that it's possible it wasn't. 

Better?
No confirmation means unconfirmed means it might not be,
but it still could be.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 3:32pm
Are you referencing a 500+ci aluminum AMC engine or one that clocks in at 500" solid? The first is easy to do, the later would reveal that it definitely isn't an Indy engine. Maybe I'm being too technical here but there's a way to confirm these things.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic