TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

indy aluminum 401 block reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: indy aluminum 401 block reviews
    Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 8:39am
Has anyone here had any experience with the indy block ?
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 8:57am
At 5k each for a bare block I doubt there will be many. Still cant understand why we cant get an aftermarket iron block built
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 9:53am
Upfront costs are much to high to bring an actual iron block to the market. You would not want an iron block cast the same as the aluminum block on the same patterns. There was a guy last year who was passionate about it...said he needed 100 people at 3500 ea and he would throw in 350K to start it. I dont know what happened to him.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 10:42am
Where is the diffrence of the mold for an aluminum Block or an Iron block?

The diffrence can just be the dimmensions(the alu block would need some more thickness/material at some places, and maybe some other mold material due to the fact that cast iron is poured at an higher temp)

The Main Diffrence should be the machine costs, due to the higher wear machining cast iron compared to aluminium. 

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
70Javelin360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Javelin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 11:32am
Quality for the first few years was junk, the bores would be out line by .050 and the aluminum quality wasnt the best, had porosity issues. The same with the heads but there quality has improved over the years. you can make big power with there blocks and i have never seen one fail. but ive also only probably seen half a dozen of them in 10years
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2431219
Lenni AMC View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lenni AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 11:32am
I have one but haven´t assembled it yet. so I might not be the best to comment on this topic. 

But I know both Glen and Stickshifter have one maybe they will chip in 

There are some problems with it but they are fixable ( I guess 5k doesn´t get you much at Indy )
AMC Gremlin w/401
6.212 @ 117.01 - 1/8 Mile
9.785 @ 133.11 - 1/4 Mile
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCikyNqrfpMB8VzLd910Hkhg

https://rbjracing1.wixsite.com/website
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 11:54am
Originally posted by 74Bubblefender 74Bubblefender wrote:

Upfront costs are much to high to bring an actual iron block to the market. You would not want an iron block cast the same as the aluminum block on the same patterns. There was a guy last year who was passionate about it...said he needed 100 people at 3500 ea and he would throw in 350K to start it. I dont know what happened to him.

As a mold maker i figure half a million (minimum) just for the various core molds and fixtures.

Indy blocks are actually cheep!
Gremlin Dreams
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 12:41pm
Put together a Indy block for a friend and he loves it. NO issues either. All measurements were just within .0001. Now that's worth a purchase from the Indy folks.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 1:12pm
There was a failed one posted to the interwebs at one point,
 if I recall correctly the mains ripped out of it.

I have no idea if this was an earlier, lower quality version, or not or ?
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 1:31pm

I believe one had stickshifter pulling his hair out. I recall the sleeves were sinking and bolt holes improperly located. Indy products leave something to be desired.

SKeown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic