TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Independent Front Suspension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390AMX2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Independent Front Suspension
    Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 8:31pm
 Has anybody purchased the independent front suspension from Control Freak Suspensions in Florida for their AMC car? They seem to be well built and they claim it to be a bolt in item. I think the cost for 1968 - 1969 AMX was $3799 and if you wanted power coating it was $449 extra.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 9:43pm
I've got the whole Control Freak system on my 67 Rambler.  I went with Wilwood brakes on the front, and modified the rear 4-link slightly to fit a 8.8 rear axle.  The rear is weld-in.  The front is nearly bolt-on.  You have to drill a few holes for the coil-over supports.  You have to remove the mid shaft from the steering column to swap to the rack and pinion.  It's pretty easy to do if you're handy.  I don't have mine on the road yet, so I don't have any driving impressions.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 11:28pm
control freak are a bit price but very good qualiy I have seen here unit on display at shows and talked with them yes its a bolt in uses the existing bolt holes
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 3:22am
same here, have the front/rear CF stuff on the 69 rambler, have the rear for the 68 rebel. when i get $$ the rebel will get the front set-up. quality stuff. service/advice before and after the sale. 
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
390AMX2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390AMX2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 8:54am
What is the difference in ride and control with the CF suspension as compared to the stock set up?
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 11:33pm
there system is full adjustable so it depends on how you set it up the system is based on fox body ford ball joints it gives a little stiffer ride and handles like a slot car
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
AMXpower View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMXpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 3:33pm
I saw an AMX at the hot rod power tour he had the front and back Control Freak suspensions.  The back has to be welded and he also had sub frame connector he made them himself.  The front requires 2 bolts holes drilled on side of trunnion towers looks pretty easy.  Make sure they weld it all around he told me he had to touch up some of the welds they were not all way around. They sell the subframe connectors also but have to be welded in like the back suspension. The rear suspension looked real nice have to welded bottom to subframe and also tabs at top for coil overs looked nice. He also had a stabilizer front and back said the back moved around so he added rear stabilizer.
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 11:34pm
Would be nice if we could get a group buy going for the control freak setup
AMXpower View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 6:39am
Make the call and ask you never know until you try!! hah hah
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 9:01pm
I'm sceared
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic