TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

IMSA Kelly American Challenge video

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IMSA Kelly American Challenge video
    Posted: Sep/10/2020 at 11:04am

This is a great old video. There are 3 AMC on the grid!
Row 3 A. Johnson - Spirit AMX
Row 8 Cat Kizer - Spirit AMX
Row 9 Nick Viccione - Hornet

I've only heard about the Buz Dyer Concord, Curios if anyone knows if any of these cars survive?
Was the Amos Johnson Spirit the modified Team Highball Nurimberg Spirits?
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2020 at 1:00pm
I believe the Spirit Amos was driving could have been the former Nurburgring car.  It was the car that actually won the race and was used as a parade car before an IMSA race after it came back to the states.  On bald tires it spun out on the parade lap and they left it off the track.  Then during the race a car hit it in the rear.  Amos says they had a Concord with a crashed front and put the two cars together which then became the IMSA car. I know it was the car in they ran #67 in IMSA GT a couple times.

The Cat Kizer car is also a Team Highball car she rented from Amos for the year.

Somewhere in all my notes I have the cars sorted out.
bwamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2020 at 2:19pm
It's possible Nick still has the chassis. He was going to covert it into a T bird way back in the day.
I have not run into him in 10 years or so.
I use to help him out at the track , Lime Rock , Watkins Glen ( with Patty Moise co driving ) and others.
The motor in my car came from the Hornet. Nick had a lot of rare parts pass through .
The Block & heads were from  Traco & stamped.  
I Had the chance to buy a webber intake & aluminium Block & heads , but not enough money.
If someone is looking for an old AMC race car , there is one , a yellow & blue Spirit behind a barn a few towns away I could look into .

73 Jav-AMX " The Black Widow"
358cu/in Crossram
T-10 9" Rear
bwamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2020 at 9:57pm
Found a few pics of Nick V and the Hornet when we were at Watkins Glen in Sept 84.
Sorry for the crappy pictures from a 110 camera.

358cu/in Crossram
T-10 9" Rear
Gpfarrell View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gpfarrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2020 at 6:38pm
Wow! That’s some history!
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2020 at 12:30pm
Very cool. Thanks for posting. Watching the camaro the whole time... hmm grrr... BUT the Porsche 924GT(GTS, or GTS clubsport) Pace car? Yes. 
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2020 at 10:53am
I think this is Nick Viccione's car.

bwamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2020 at 11:32am
Yep sure is . Prior to running the Hornet , Nick raced a  70 Javelin.
The last time I talked to him a few weeks ago he said he wished he never sold it.

Bob 
358cu/in Crossram
T-10 9" Rear
klvn8r View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klvn8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2020 at 9:24pm
That is bad rump!!!   And for the question, yes, Buzz's car is inside, in Texas. 

klvn8r

klvn8r View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klvn8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2020 at 9:59pm
That is bad rump!!!   And for the question, yes, Buzz's car is inside, in Texas. 

klvn8r

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic