TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I'm having a hard time finding the valve layout fo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

I'm having a hard time finding the valve layout fo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timberwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm having a hard time finding the valve layout fo
    Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 2:12pm
The other day I set the Lash on my 195.6 but I'm not sure I got it right so I would like to recheck it. I had pulled up a chart the other day to show me which valves were which but now I can't find it for the life of me. Anyone have a link to which valves are intake and which are exhaust?
Also, in my searching, I found reference to a procedure for setting them while the engine is running. It was an eight-year-old Forum topic though and there was no link. Can anybody point me to a good write-up on that procedure?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 2:48pm
From the front of the engine:

I E E I I E E I I E E I

I- intake'
E-exhaust

You don't need to do it with the engine running. It takes experience to do that.  You can do it with the engine at rest but it is best to make sure the engine is truly warmed up.  If not warmed up, just add about .02 to the valve settings, both intake and exhaust.  It is best to a set of long feeler gauges.  I little valve clatter is good.  Not a lot, but a little.

Joe

Edited by pacerman - Nov/30/2017 at 2:52pm
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
timberwolf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timberwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 2:52pm
Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured based on exhaust manifold port location.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 8:26pm
If a 196 doesn't sound like a well oiled sewing machine with the valve cover off and engine good warm (hot!) , the valves are too tight!! I used to adjust mine every year. It takes a little practice but it's not that hard to do with the engine running. Hard to get to the valves next to the 2V or later model 1V, but not around the little Holley 1909 1V.
Frank Swygert
Rambler Dan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2017 at 9:37am
I am in the process of setting valves on a new to me hasn't run in a while 196 ohv engine.
What is the best way to set them on a cold engine to get them close to proper for when I fire the engine for the first time? I see the part about adding .002 to the spec but which valves do I set when?

I've worked on many old triumph and MGs where there is a cold set procedure but I can't seam to find anything on the Amc. Thanks.
timberwolf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timberwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2017 at 9:46am
I used the EOIC method.

On each cylinder, rotate the crank by hand until you see the exhaust valve start to open. 
Adjust the intake lash. 
Rotate the crank again until the intake valve fully opens and then starts to close. 
Adjust the exhaust lash.

Then move onto the next cylinder and repeat
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2017 at 9:47am
Number 1 cylinder is obviously in front, right?   The firing order is 1,5,3,6,2,4.  The tappet settings are cast into the intake manifold plate. Those are hot settings.  Start with Number one cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke and go from there.  The engine turns clockwise looking from the front of the car.  Not that you will need it for this, but the distributor turns counterclockwise on the 196 OHV.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2017 at 10:02am
Originally posted by timberwolf timberwolf wrote:

I used the EOIC method.

On each cylinder, rotate the crank by hand until you see the exhaust valve start to open. 
Adjust the intake lash. 
Rotate the crank again until the intake valve fully opens and then starts to close. 
Adjust the exhaust lash.

Then move onto the next cylinder and repeat

That's perfect. That's the kind of procedure I was trying to search for and had no luck. I know I will readjust once the engine is hot but i wanted to make sure I'm close as all the engine work is someone else work and I'm goign through everything I can before I fire to make sure I know it's ok. Thanks much!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2017 at 10:49am
Just don't forget to retorque the head bolts. 62 ft/lbs. That needs to be done every 10-12K miles or every three years, whichever comes first. The bolts eventually loosen from expansion/contraction of the head, but it takes a long time to do it. I retorqued every other year when I was driving a 196 as a daily driver, put 5-7K a year on it. So I was going up to 14-15K miles with no issues, but not all the time. If I forgot whether I retorqued the year before I just checked them anyway (drove same car for 14 years...). 
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2017 at 11:51am
Very sound advice thank you. I already checked them now but that's good to know moving forward.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic