TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ignition switch removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition switch removal
    Posted: Jun/11/2017 at 6:29pm
Got the Pacer home and they found mouse chewed thru wires so they spliced the wires and put it back together.  Well, it turns out now that the switch worked 4 times now it is bad.  Remote starts it fine.

I got steering wheel off clips removed for the horn assembly, now there is nothing holding on top but it does not slide off the shaft!?!  Is there something like rotating it to a certain spot to release it.???

www.a70sthingautomobilia.com
It Used To Be an AMC Thing...
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
Daily Drivers since 1995!
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2017 at 6:33pm
Don't the Pacer has the ignition key in the column. If so the switch is on the upper right side of the column near the steering column bracket under the dash.

You will need to drop the column to access it.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2017 at 9:00pm
If your saying you can't get the canceling cam to slide off the shaft then look closer. In your pictures it sure looks like there is a spring ring holding the canceling cam in place. Push down a little on the canceling cam and you should be able get that spring ring out.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
javelinman74 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2017 at 9:55pm
Took it off after the pictures.  Looks like I need to get under the column tomorrow.
Would sure like to bring this to Gettysburg too
Richard
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2017 at 12:27am
are we wanting to get the key cly out or the switch the switch is locate on top of column under the dash above the brake peddle take a 5/16 socket to get it loose you don't have to drop the column just stand on your head it a pain in the rump
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 8:32pm
OK it only gets better!  Neighbor got under there tonight and removed and replaced the ignition switch and put it back together, still NO start/cranking.  Remote button, crank, crank, crank.  So he pulled it and double checked everything and still nothing.

Soooo my guess is that the new remote starter I made with weatherproof electrical box and a push button I'll tape the wires to the fender, run them thru the window and mount my new starter switch on the dash board.

I know my luck is strange, very strange.  So now everything has been checked and replaced, I do have spark not starting as I still have to set up TDC.  So it all here, and there's no real reason for what goes on in my adventures.  I should start a cmoic book, cause it's got to be funny!

Blessings
Richard
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 10:30pm
You really need a manual for the car. I think the car should have a starter relay that needs grounded buy the neutral safety switch to start. Is it in park?
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2017 at 3:13am
Here's where that other metal clip (with the mickey mouse ears) goes. Across the black line.....

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2017 at 3:18am
Originally posted by 1970390amx 1970390amx wrote:

You really need a manual for the car. I think the car should have a starter relay that needs grounded buy the neutral safety switch to start. Is it in park?

Be sure to get the right solenoid there are Ford styles that just won't work right for AMC. It is possible the neutral safety switch on the trans switch is bad or wire loose or cut.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2017 at 1:56pm
304 dude, that might be it!?!  Always figure that the blue plastic means ford, how ever the switches are identical .  Thinking of a floor starter, or even mount something under the hood.  Then get the timing set and finally? see how she runs.  Thanks!
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic