TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ignition key

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition key
    Posted: Sep/18/2017 at 6:35pm
Ok bought a cute 71 Hornet sst and was making a list of items that need to be addressed and one being no ignition key. Now I'm very mechanically inclined and was thinking I could remove lock cylinder internally and have a key made or install a new lock cylinder. Any other suggestions ?. I'll call her Ruby.
Frank Alarcon
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2017 at 6:50pm
You can remove the steering wheel to release the lock from the column.

Back in the 80s, I was able to make a key reading the stamped numbers on the tumblers. Just be careful to keep them in order, else when assembling, you may have the wrong cut done.

You may use a TSM to check how keys are set on the numbering system.

My original key was factory cut very shallow at the base with a large tip end, so after time it would crack or just twist off when locking or unlocking. Thus breaking off in the ignition. It definitely had an odd key number when it was coded.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2017 at 7:16pm
Some auto lock smiths can make a key from the lock still in the car. You may need to call around and find the right shop. As a auto tech, we have on call a lock smith to do exactly that. He works with a master key set ( like 45 different master keys) and a rubber key set to find the right key. A little filing and shaping and we have keys for customers cars ( we get a lot of cars towed in to the shop without keys), Obviously this is for older cars. The last 20 years, you can get a key made from the VIN number, but only through the dealer.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2017 at 7:47pm
You probably won't want to wait for it but if you can find any post 1969 AMC service manual it will tell you how to remove the lock cylinder.  I believe you need any key that will fit in the cylinder and then after removing the steering wheel and anti-theft locking plate you have access to the cylinder.  You need to insert a key in the ignition (any key that fits) and trip a little latch with a stiff piece of wire and remove the lock cylinder.  You can take the cylinder to a locksmith and get a key made.   If you have the original owner's manual for the car (not likely but possible) check the for the key codes in that book entered by the dealer that sold the car new.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
jav343 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jav343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2017 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by hassyfoto hassyfoto wrote:

Some auto lock smiths can make a key from the lock still in the car. You may need to call around and find the right shop. As a auto tech, we have on call a lock smith to do exactly that. He works with a master key set ( like 45 different master keys) and a rubber key set to find the right key. A little filing and shaping and we have keys for customers cars ( we get a lot of cars towed in to the shop without keys), Obviously this is for older cars. The last 20 years, you can get a key made from the VIN number, but only through the dealer.

X2 on this. Certainly easiest option.The last time I had a key made like this I paid something like $50.00 call-out and $25.00 for the key. This was on my old 69 Charger. Took the locksmith something like 15 minutes or so. Might be more expensive these days. Call first
2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L, 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L, 1968 AMC Javelin 5.6L 
graewolf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2017 at 11:34pm
My American, the ignition+doors are the same, (old 74 Ford was too). Pulled lock out of door, took to locksmith. Made a key in minutes. My opinion, for what its worth, is less work taking door apart than the steering column. Cheaper than having them come to you.

Perk
Americans, 65 Convertible, 64-65 Wagons, 64 220 2Dr, 66 2Dr Hardtop..... They follow me home!!!
Tarbaby View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 12:04am
Door lock it is. Thanks for all the good suggestions
Frank Alarcon
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 8:47am
I don't know if the steering column in a 77 suburban is the same as a 71 Hornet as far as the ignition key cylinders are concerned, but many years ago I took my 77 Suburban to a locksmith because the cylinder had ge-sproinged, meaning a little spring came sneaking out. The cylinder was junk. The lock smith threaded a sheetmetal screw into the cylinder and attached it to a slide hammer. A couple of whacks later the cylinder was out, he cleaned out the little broken pieces inside and slid a new one in. Problem solved. That cylinder and new key worked fine up to the day I sold the Burb.

I'm not suggesting you should try that with your Hornet, but it did work for the Suburban.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 9:09am
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

I don't know if the steering column in a 77 suburban is the same as a 71 Hornet as far as the ignition key cylinders are concerned, but many years ago I took my 77 Suburban to a locksmith because the cylinder had ge-sproinged, meaning a little spring came sneaking out. The cylinder was junk. The lock smith threaded a sheetmetal screw into the cylinder and attached it to a slide hammer. A couple of whacks later the cylinder was out, he cleaned out the little broken pieces inside and slid a new one in. Problem solved. That cylinder and new key worked fine up to the day I sold the Burb.

I'm not suggesting you should try that with your Hornet, but it did work for the Suburban.

Should work the same... though the lock cylinder locking tab is silver grey, like nylon plastic. Using a slide hammer just snaps the tab off and may break enough to pop out the spring to keep it In position. Thus the cleaning out of the cylinder bore of the column.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
javelinman74 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 10:19am
Just did this on my 77 Pacer, bought a new lock set and keys for $15 off e-bay.

www.a70sthingautomobilia.com
It Used To Be an AMC Thing...
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
Daily Drivers since 1995!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic