TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ignition Control Module ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damn Yank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition Control Module ???
    Posted: Nov/23/2014 at 4:53am
Well, I went and misplaced mine. I guess it was bound to happen when funds come in spurts to do things on the 68 Javelin.
 Okay, so I have misplaced the module that was in the car. I don't know if it was even good. Yesterday I was able to put the key in the ignition and the motor turned over so I started to put everything back on to get some spark and came up short one part...... The ICM.
 Can someone explain to me what my options are at this point?
 Do I have to hunt one down?
 Do I have to install a Ford or Mopar module? Will I end up frying my ignition system if I wire it in wrong?
 If anyone has a link to a diagram or know what an easy option is replacing the system now is the time I am begging for it. I don't have an HIE distributor. I have a spare points distributor.
 I do have a spare Mopar Ignition module without the plug in connector. I can make one if I need to.
 Other than that I have access to parts stores, Confused
 Any good news that can come from this?
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2014 at 6:26am
Is it a ford style or an autolite style distributer? Makes a big difference.
Damn Yank View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damn Yank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2014 at 7:24am
I am not positive on that.  It is the original though.
I did find it in a box with my sun visors. Go figure. So I am going to try it as soon as the rain stops to see if I get spark.
 If that doesn't work I will continue exploring this option. Thanks for the reply.

bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2014 at 7:56am
You say it is original, but a 68 Javelin would not have come with electronic ignition. Your first course of action is to determine exactly which distributor you have. That makes a big difference on the module that goes with it.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2014 at 10:12am
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

You say it is original, but a 68 Javelin would not have come with
electronic ignition. Your first course of action is to determine exactly
which distributor you have. That makes a big difference on the module
that goes with it.
BB69 is right up to 74 or 75 would have points and no box needed if you did not want to run one.

Now as long as you know the wiring you can use any dist. even a points type to trigger a(MSD box)box.

If you can post up a picture of the outside & inside with the cap removed we can tell you what you have and what needs to be done to use it to get spark.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2014 at 10:33am
Original ignition doesnt have a box.
AMC used the same ignition until 1974.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2014 at 1:18pm
First ones were Presto-no-lite. I wonder if someone swapped the points for a Pertronix?
Damn Yank View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damn Yank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2014 at 4:09am
I thought that was this unit was called. If there is a correct terminology I apologize. What is  this then? I always assumed it was a Ignition module. Mine only has one plug but it looks like the same box.

maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2014 at 4:47am
That is the voltage regulator for the motorola alternator. My 68 Javelin still has this but it is unplugged since it is now running a delco alternator.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
Damn Yank View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damn Yank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2014 at 5:48am
Well, I better ask now while it is fresh in my mind. Since I have my alternator torn apart for replacing the bearings......... If it does not work when it gets put back in the car..... what alternator have you installed to eliminate that external regulator? 
 What year and model did it originally come from? I might need to do this myself.
 I do have my doubts about the one I took apart just because of it's age and down time.
 I did this mod in my Power Wagon and used one out of a 76 Trans Am. I had to fabricate a bracket from another bowtie V-8 but it lined up and worked fine.
 Did you do a lot of fabricating or is there a direct bolt in available?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic