TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ignition Coil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Mitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition Coil
    Posted: Sep/17/2014 at 2:52pm
The ignition coil on my V8 American gets so hot you cannot touch it. Is this normal?
Bill Mitchell

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2014 at 9:39pm
Do you have the correct coil? Or do you know?  If you hand crank the engine so that the points are closed and the ignition key in the on position and measure the voltage at the + terminal of the coil do you measure something in the order of about 6 Volts?  
If not, then there may be a problem with the source of the voltage applied to it.  It should be coming through a ballast wire from the ignition switch and it is possible something is miss-wired. 
Assuming of course the coil you are talking about is supposed to be an OEM coil and the distributor is OEM also with a properly adjusted set of points. 
If that is not true, more information is needed. 

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Bill Mitchell View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Mitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 1:12pm
Thanks for the reply John. Nothing is original equipment. There is some kind of electronic module in the distributor and the coil is marked MSD. You might be right about the wiring. I don't remember seeing a ballast anywhere. The wiring on this car is like a rats nest. Someone has cut and spliced all over the place. I have a TSM and will sort it out. The car runs good but I had to set the timing with a vacuum gage. Timing mark wouldn't come up on the strobe light. Got a lot of things to figure out. Plenty of time, I'm only 75. Ha, ha.
Bill Mitchell

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 1:28pm
Well Bill, you got 3 years on me and I just got back from Starting my Hornet I seem to have been working for ever on with a year off to have quadruple bypass.  Those were the years when people cobbed things in whether they were qualified or not. And it is now worse when some one who has cut their teeth on factory fuel injection and suddenly buys a vintage car from yesteryear and starts out even more clueless. 
The AMC cars had a ballast wire in them from the ignition switch,  Chrysler used Ballast resistors and i am sure so did others, but AMC was a wire. 
And if it has an MSD coil on it and the car is a frankelectonics set up complete with wires dangling it very well could have had some form of an electronic ignition long since cobbed over. If that is the case than it is possible some one by passed the ballast wire if it originally had points and ran switched 12 vdc over to it. 
If since then some one has installed a points distributor and just hooked it up to the coil as it existed, than like I mentioned earlier, put a meter on the + side of the coil. And hand crank the engine until the points go through an open/closed cycle.  With the points open you should see 12vdc on the plus (+)connection, when the points close you should see aprox. 1/2 battery depending on the resistance value of the coil and the resistance value of the ballast wire if used.  If it stays at 12vdc the switch 12VD was connected and some where in your wiring harness is the wire that is connected to the ballast wire, if it has not been cut out. 
In general, the ballast resistance and the coil resistance were the same ohm reading leading to more or less one half battery voltage when read at the + terminal with the points closed. 
IF the parts are the right ones and they are hooked up correctly. 

If this actually is some form of MSD ignition which included installing some form of a module in the distributor, see if you can look up a model number on the internet and find out if it should be hooked up to the oem BALLAST WIRE or should have had switched 12 wired to it.  Because if it is hooked or should be hooked up to the OEM ballast wire, then the voltage would have been less than 12 volts applied which is the nature of the beast. 

Edited by uncljohn - Sep/18/2014 at 1:34pm
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Mitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 1:52pm
Glad to hear about the bypass surgery John. We wouldn't be talking right now if you hadn't had that done. Ha, ha. Thanks for your suggestions. The distributor has a module instead of points. The original ignition switch Is long gone in favor of another (?) So I have some looking to do. Getting under the dash is no easy task for me. Like I said the wiring is a mess. But this is my hobby of choice (old cars) and as long as you don't put a deadline on things they don't become a job.............
Bill Mitchell

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 3:04pm
Bigger question would b if everything else metal on the engine is the same temperature.

Infrared thermometers are awesome.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Mitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2014 at 3:49pm
FS Junkie, only the coil is overheated(?). Engine is running good and at normal temperature about 180 degrees. Someone moved the coil to the driver side fender out of the air flow from the fan. Maybe it is normal to be hot. You cannot touch it without getting burned. I can check the temperature of the coil......
Bill Mitchell

bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2014 at 5:33pm
Even out of the air flow, it should not be getting so hot you can't touch it. Either it is not wired to its spec, or it is damaged. You did say the ignition is cobbled together, so find the manufacturer's specs for the coil and compare it with what you have driving it. If everything is in spec, the coil is bad.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2014 at 6:57pm
Where is the distributor tied into the coil at the "+" or "-" side. I think Chevy is wired as backwards. I wouldn't know as I never owned one but thought I read it somewhere.
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2014 at 8:14pm
My 65 classic did not have a resistor wire, it had an actual resistor. You CAN get a coil with an internal resistor. I ran straight 12 volts to my non-resisted coil and it got so hot it failed. This was when it had the 232 in it and before I went to an HEI distributor. At the time I was running Pertronix with a factory type canister coil. The HEI coils take a full 12 volts.
The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic