TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ignition Coil Location

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition Coil Location
    Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 6:22pm
Look at the before/after photos of the engine bay on 74 Javelin.
Overall, I am satisfied, but I still do not like the way the ignition coil is mounted.
It sticks up and is very noticeable. I know this is the original location, and I want to keep the original type coil, but does anyone have any ideas on how to make it less conspicuous, or should I just not worry about it?

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 6:27pm
Some 290's and 343's had the coil mounted on the front of the head. But with the A/C, that severely limits your options of moving it anywhere else on the engine. So,  don't worry, be happy!
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 6:33pm
Darrin, You are probably right.
I need not worry about the small stuff, but this has been on my mind for some time. As you say, if I desire to keep original look, the coil must stay in place. Thanks.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 7:16pm
I am with you on the lousy coil location, particularly with air. Years ago, when I put on a cross ram, I relocated the coil low down on the passenger side inner fender. It is about level with the battery tray and the bottom rests on the frame rail with a stock bracket holding the coil. Even though I am back to a single four barrel, I have kept it there. I now have an extra long high tension lead and the small wire from the negative side of the coil that reaches to the distributor. I personally don't find that any more offensive than having the yellow ignition wire following the same path. I also think it keeps the coil a bit cooler, though it likely does not make much difference. 

Chris

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 11:46pm
It looks like the coil is simply mounted too high in the bracket. The coil should be set in the bracket so that the base of the coil is not quite touching the intake manifold.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2015 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by dltowers dltowers wrote:

As you say, if I desire to keep original look, the coil must stay in place. Thanks.

I'm going to be a contrarian here. First off, it took me a while to even find your coil in the top picture. But looking at all of the chrome in the second picture, I wouldn't be too concerned with something not appearing original... because your engine bay no longer does.

I have no problem with it and think it looks great, but the top picture is original in appearance.
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2015 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Snotty Snotty wrote:

Originally posted by dltowers dltowers wrote:

As you say, if I desire to keep original look, the coil must stay in place. Thanks.

I'm going to be a contrarian here. First off, it took me a while to even find your coil in the top picture. But looking at all of the chrome in the second picture, I wouldn't be too concerned with something not appearing original... because your engine bay no longer does.

I have no problem with it and think it looks great, but the top picture is original in appearance.

I have to agree with Snotty on this one. Your engine compartment is not stock by a long shot so move that coil where you want. Thumbs Up You've mentioned that you like where I have mine mounted so you could try that.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2015 at 9:14pm
I agree; put it where ever you want. I keep thinking about the military; "If it moves salute it. If it doesn't move, paint it." Chrome it in this case. Looks nice.
Mike
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2015 at 9:17am
It looks nice Dickie, habit forming ain't it. Is the coil chrome? If not either get a chrome one, or a cover and lower it in the mount.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2015 at 9:35am
John you are so right....
Now I am starting to look for anything to change/modify on the car whether it needs it or not....
just to have something to doBig smile.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic