TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

identifying year of 727

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2014 at 12:02pm
Hmm.  Looks like the Chrysler ID format.  If so, it decodes as:

pk = Kokomo transmission plant
3239817 = transmission part number
7600 = 10,000 day calendar date, May 19, 1982
7302 = transmission build sequence number

Hope this helps.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
odd401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odd401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2014 at 9:55pm
Smilethanks for the info,my j20 is an 81,so an 82 trans i can live with,trying to make it original except for a badass 401.shooting for about 450 horse this time.still waiting on bulltear's timng cover though.cant wait to get it back together.gonna miss the walden dunes again. Angry
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2014 at 10:27am
6 Pack   that was some good info
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
70BBO360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70BBO360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2014 at 8:24pm
Good post, I am looking at purchasing two torque flight someone has this will help me identify them.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2014 at 11:39am
Originally posted by odd401 odd401 wrote:

Confusedstill looking for info,parts store has no clue.they list a 81 j20 with a 998 trans.i thought  all fs jeeps with auto are 727?i need part numbers for front seal,pan gasket,filter,stall converter both output seals for a np208.i have looked up some info,but still need better info,cant find the number on my trans in the tsm.might be looking at it or cant find the correct info.i have a 81 wagon im thinking of using the trans to get me by till i get this one figured out.gonna get numbers off it in the morning.thanks for any info

They have things screwed up alright. 9XX was never offered in a J20. TH400 was the auto from '74 to '79 (no J20 designation before '74. They were J4000) and 727 from '80 to '88 (end of Jtrucks). I only saw one 999 in a J10 and that was with 6 cyl. Lots of '80 to '83 Cherokees had them (all with 2.72 gearing from the factory and lock up converter so far) but the rest of the SJ wagons (80-91) were 727 except a few Grand Wagoneers with non-lockup 999 and 6 cyl prior to '87.

The "universal" Mopar filter kit (one camel hair screen and 2 different gaskets) fits the 999 and 727. 80-83 autos were mostly lockup converters, which were an issue due to hunting in/out of lockup at @37-50 mph (easily fixed with a spring kit from transmission parts suppliers) but the clutches had issues with the Dexron II fluid. Dex III is the cure for that, but a LOT of the lockup trans dropped out because of it and got a bad rep. (which may be why it's not original).
   In fact, the 727 I have for sale is a lockup and if I hadn't already put a 727 in my Eagle, I would have swapped it for the dead lockup 998 (converter neck snaps under heavy load or at least cracks, dumping fluid everywhere, stopping the car. Tell tale signs are vibration that is RPM related that slowly gets worse.

Lockup on top and non-lockup on bottom (photo borrowed from a member here)

You can convert a lockup to non lockup (I did it by adding a .177 or .22 bee bee in the S shaped line on top of the valvebody below) I forget which end now, but you can figure which way it flows and you want it to be pushed against the tube opening to block the flow so the converter doesn't lock. I did that when the converter clutch in my second Eagle was shuddering, which bought me another year of driving while I looked for an affordable 727 (just as the Internet was taking off)

Which seal numbers do you need for the NP208? You can actually buy a kit with seals, gaskets and chain. The automatic J20 NP208 is standard 23 spline (Dodge is also 23 spline, but RH drop so it is mirror imaged to the Jeep one) '80 up J20s with V8 and 4 speed are supposed to be all Ford T18s and the tcase is Ford NP208 as well, which is 31 spline LH drop and fixed yoke. The chain is longer and wider than the Jeep version for strength, as is the planetary the chain rolls over.
   J10s with stick most often came with the T177 with V8 (or T176 with 6 cyl) and 23 spline NP208s.
odd401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odd401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 12:16am
finally got time to look into the trans,info  from posts say its an 1982 727,pulled the converter and its a lockup,trans shop guy confirmed that,now im thinking of pulling another 727 out of an 81 grand wagoneer,its high mileage but still shifted fine when i parked it .i hope its not a lockup.read the post to convert a lockup to a non lockup.how reliable is that modification,im gonna be running at least 400 horse to it and i got a lead foot let me know what you think,thanks
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 10:15am
IIRC there is no real difference to the other parts of the trans strength wise.
We blocked TONS of lockups in the 80's. In south western Pa we have hills, on top of hills and speed limits averaged 40-50mph back then. The damn convertors would shudder and lock in and out constantly. drove the owners and us nuts.
   There was a kit that would allow you to swap springs or was it washers? to alter lockup timing, but with so many and our area we just blocked them off.
  Jeeps, Eagles, Concords, Spirits etc;
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 11:35am
The spring kit works well and Dexron III cured the converter shudder (which is why Dex II isn't around anymore). The one I have for sale was rebuilt and living just fine behind a mildly built 401 in an '82 Wagoneer. I plan to swap in an AW4 or I would swap the non-lockup I put in for the locking one.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 1:52pm
The problem I see is that no one makes a good heavy duty or performance converter for a lock up 727. So blocking or modifying lock up is only a patch if you run enough power through it. It only takes changing the input shaft, pump stator support, and valve body and you can run any number of heavy duty or stall converter in it.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 11:37pm
Actually, the shop I used to work at about 30 years ago (Pacific Converter)did them so I don't see why they don't now? They build them for the Cummins Diesels and V10s for the 4 speed 47RE autos, which may also fit the 727 like the 32RE and 42RE swap. (9xx and A500)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic