TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Identify this wire, please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 8:56am
First there is no hard and fast body date codes I know of for AMC in the 1973 production year.
That stated there are clues:
There were 318,860 units that came out of Kenosha in 1973 and each unit came off the line with a sequence number regardless of the model.
There were 25,197 360 Javelins 7379-7 produced.
Your number 83279 would be the sequence when the body was produced and the 83760 when it came off the line.
Your car was likely put through the line in April 1973.
This is just a rough guess. A November car would likely have a sequence 250000 or higher.

Saz2686 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saz2686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 9:00am
Well now I can remove both wires, and really shed some weight.    
Scott - 73 Javelin. 401 engine. T5Z trans. 3.54 posi

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 9:17am
So my 73 would be what I call made fairly late in the 73 model year or at least it's well past the half-way point in the model year and certainly not early or in the first half.

Save any wiring you remove and send it to me. (and I'm not totally kidding)
On the other hand, if you remove those then you have those annoying holes to plug!
Saz2686 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saz2686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 9:29am
I’ll stick them in split loom together to pretty them up. No reason to cut them out. Adding split loom, gained that saved weight back
Scott - 73 Javelin. 401 engine. T5Z trans. 3.54 posi

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 9:51am
My 73-1/2 Javelin with A/C and 304 auto had the yellow wire. It hooked up to the carborator throttle solenoid.

The solenoid was an odd thing. Looked sort of like a motor but had a small rubber boot around the base of the metal plunger. It had a mounting nut for adjustment. I assumed it activated when throttle was released. Never tested, as it had no function for my performance intake and carb replacement.

Edited by 304-dude - Mar/09/2018 at 9:54am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 12:52pm
That's the standard look for an idle solenoid. They pretty much all were like that because it had to have power to hold solidly and yet windings to handle the duty cycle. Nothing odd looking about it, to me - and they almost all had some sort of adjustment - either in the base or you directly turn the plunger using a wrench, thus the hex shape at the end of the plunger. 
It wouldn't have activated when throttle was released - either it was on with the AC on to step the idle up for the load of the compressor, or in later years it was controlled using other means to handle emissions  -the idle was changed under varying conditions. OR, it was truly an anti-dieseling device that was on when the car was running and off when the ignition was turned off closing the throttles. In that case there were two idle settings - running set at the solenoid and then you'd de-activate the solenoid and set the lower value with a screw as normal.
It varied a lot with the car, year, emissions and other junk....... You think those were bad, get into the 1982 and later AMCs - holy cow, a complex network of vacuum and wiring controlled the bloody thing then.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic