TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

I6 Powerglide with 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I6 Powerglide with 360
    Posted: May/01/2015 at 8:18pm
I'm picking up a 1972 powerglide and chevy 250 that came out of a car that was totaled back in the day with 18k miles. I know there are a few variants of these. My intention is to put it behind a 300-400 hp 360. Giving the low miles, do you think it'll hold up well if I just go over it, or are there some parts I should beef up right away?
Doug Frantz
65 Marlin 232 Auto
68 Javelin SST 290 Auto
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2015 at 9:24pm
A relatively mild Chevy 350 can crack a powerglide bell housing and a 360 makes more torque. They tend to break where the bellhousing meets the main part of the case. You might get away with if you use factory type rubber mounts, but no poly or solid mounts. Also the L6 poweglide has less clutches so it will need performance mods and performance clutches.

I used to drag race powerglides. I always cut the bellhousings off and added a JW Ultrabell. Not a cheap option so you gotta really want a 2-speed transmission. Personally, I don't see the point of a powerglide as a street transmission for performance.
The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2015 at 10:24pm
Sell the chevy engine and powerglide to a chevy nut. Then use the money to build a good TF or TH400.
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 7:40am
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Sell the chevy engine and powerglide to a chevy nut. Then use the money to build a good TF or TH400.

x2

In short, will the P'glide hold up? Not long if at all.
Frantz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 12:45pm
Why do so many people use it then?
Doug Frantz
65 Marlin 232 Auto
68 Javelin SST 290 Auto
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 1:10pm
Drag racers use it because they don't need three speeds for 1/8 mile (or even a 1/4). Those trannys are built up to take the abuse also. Chevy used them in low cost street cars 50-73, and only on the lowest cost cars the last three years (turbo 350 came out in 69 and all but replaced the PG). It was a simple low cost transmission. The engine would rev way up in first gear then drop to gutless for a few seconds when it finally shifted. That was in a 67 Nova with a 235 six, was a bit better with a small block that would rev more.
Frank Swygert
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 5:47pm
I love my glide. But it's really for race only. I have a JW ultrabell as well. It was one of the best bracket race modifications I made to the Hornet. Turned a spinning inconsistent combo into an absolute killer race winning car.

In the right application they do a way better job of managing traction, a transbrake is dirt simple cause the reverse clutch is stationary, parts are cheap, and they do not absorb much power. Done right they are one of the best tools a serious bracket racer can use, deadly consistent and easy to run a delay box with the brake.

If your race car is less than 3000 lbs seriously consider a glide. But they are converter critical to make work right. YOU MUST HAVE A TOP QUALITY RACE CONVERTER OR IT WILL BE A DOG. I run an 8", 5600 rpm stall. Cause there is so little ratio in low and such a large rpm drop you need to have the right converter to make it fast, and you have to have the stall high enough to prevent shift rpm drop.

But I would never put one in a street car. With a street converter it would be a total dog, and even I think 5600 stall is a bit much on the street.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 7:28pm
Ford Chrysler and Packard had a 2 speed transmission available for their cars in the 1950's. Them along with GM no longer do, there is probably a good reason as to why not.
If you want a good inexpensive transmission that also has a street reliability reputation when built correctly and also bolts directly up to it?
Try a 904.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Frantz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2015 at 9:30am
My project is my 65 Marlin that is too solid to make into parts, and too far gone to restore. A strip car is the perfect 2nd life. Yes, I'll drive on the street some too, but I have the Javelin for cruise nights. (well, eventually the shop will get it back to me)
Doug Frantz
65 Marlin 232 Auto
68 Javelin SST 290 Auto
Frantz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2015 at 9:32am
It will be stripped down, so I'd be right at the 3k I think. If I drank a few less beers I think I could get under.
Doug Frantz
65 Marlin 232 Auto
68 Javelin SST 290 Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic