TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

I guess I'm the new guy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennedy9154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 3:16pm
Well, I got a 5V regulator from a friend at work. Went out today to see what would be involved in taking the gauge panel out, and lo and behold, someone already did this fix. OK, it MUST be the fuses... Nope. All fuses are fine. 
    I ended up removing the one that was there, and in doing so, I can see that whoever did this little job seems to have tried to solder it directly to the printed circuit. I'm not sure thats the case, but it certainly looks like it, with the panel still in place, and there was a small piece of the printed circuit stuck to the wire that was the input. I'm not even sure it was in the right place. It certainly didn't look anything at all like the pic I saw in the link posted earlier. My guess at this point, is that the heat ruined the printed circuit panel, and it will have to be replaced. I will keep messing around with it, but my hope for this one is fading fast.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 3:54pm
Those are thick printed circuit boards, not like the modern thin ones. You should be able to solder to a trace if necessary, but you really shouldn't have to. If you can get a small, short screw that will fit in the holes where the regulator was screw it in. As long as the edge of the screw head contacts the trace you will be fine.

Your board will be slightly different than the one shown in the article link I posted. That one is a 63 Classic. The regulator is the same though.

This thread might help:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/instrument-cluster-voltage-regulator-testing_topic80240.html

Edited by farna - May/26/2017 at 4:06pm
Frank Swygert
Kennedy9154 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennedy9154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 4:38pm
I appreciate your quick response! I was wondering about something else... Would there be a way once I remove the panel and replace the regulator, to hook it to the battery and tell if it is going to work, with the panel out of the car? Or would I have to put it back in and hook everything back up? 

rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Kennedy9154 Kennedy9154 wrote:

I appreciate your quick response! I was wondering about something else... Would there be a way once I remove the panel and replace the regulator, to hook it to the battery and tell if it is going to work, with the panel out of the car? Or would I have to put it back in and hook everything back up? 

The only way would HAVE to have the harness plug attached to the cluster.  If it's too short with the cluster out maybe you can figure out a way to get some more slack out of it.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennedy9154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 8:37pm
I figured that. Havent even been able to get that one unplugged yet. I stopped working on it around 430 when my wife got home from work. I will pick it up in the morning.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 10:39am
Spray that big round plug with WD-40 and let it sit for a while. Spray again then pry it off. Corrosion on the pins may be your gauge problems. Usually just removing and plugging back up will remove enough, but I'd get some spray electric contact cleaner and spray both the pins and plug real good before putting back in.
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennedy9154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 2:52pm
Sounds like a plan. We live about 45 minutes from Summit Racing Equipment out by Akron Ohio. We rode out there this morning and I bought an external temp gauge just in case I cant figure this out. I don't think it's even overheating, but I know what can happen if it is so I want to get something working before we drive it anymore. I would much rather have the original and the gas hand with it, but I will use this if I have to.
   Hey, thanks again for all your help and input. I really do appreciate any and all advice. 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennedy9154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 11:17am
Well, I tried everything I know to try and can't get the temp/gas hands to work. I think I am just going to try to find another printed circuit and start fresh....if one can be found.
Also replaced the turn signal cam, but the little plastic horn ring was broken as well and I can't find a new one. ...and now, when I turn the signal on, I get both back, and nothing in front. Right about now, I'm wishing I had never seen this thing...LOL
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 11:50pm
how are you testing things? if you GROUND the gas tank sender line, the guage ought to read full. same with the temp sensor.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 10:47pm
I think I have a 65 American instrument cluster you can have for the cost of shipping.  I will look for it tomorrow if you want it.  I am pretty sure the circuit board is undamaged.   65 cluster is the same as 64 except that there are (as I recall) black letters and numbers on a silver background).  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic