TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

I guess I'm the new guy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2017 at 6:53am
I've used K&W Permanent Metallic Block Seal Head Gasket Repair (http://www.uniquetruck.com/p-28744-permanent-metallic-block-seal-head-gasket-repair-16-oz-can-12case.aspx?affiliateID=10056&gclid=CJiSxLXe4tMCFQwQgQodvnwNmA). Requires draining and flushing the cooling system before putting it in, and after. Won't work with anti-freeze in the system. It works pretty darned good! Thought my daughter's car (Daewoo... 7-8 years ago...) had a cracked head, so tried this because it was hard to find a used head. Sealed it up, and ran for 10-12 months before it started leaking again. Found a head in a salvage yard, but pulled the old one first. Turns out it was a deteriorated head gasket, not a cracked head! This had sealed it until it deteriorated further. I'm pretty sure it will seal any cracks, at least until/unless they get bigger after sealing. That's always a possibility, but just keep the cooling system up and don't run it hot (boiling over hot) any more and it should last a long time.

If I knew the head was cracked I'd use this before Bar's leak, though Bar's Leak is good for cooling system leaks. I'd replace the head gasket though, not that hard or expensive, and have the head trued as well. It won't seal good if not flat. I'd have pulled the head on my daughter's car if I had suspected the head gasket instead of using a sealer product. 
Frank Swygert
Kennedy9154 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennedy9154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 2:13am
Thanks again for all the input. We retorqued the head bolts this weekend. Man, some of them were way off! None of them were at 62 ft lbs. We drove it a couple miles, but I dont want to drive it much until I get the temp guage fixed, which is probably the vomtage regulator. I saw a post on here about an aftermatket fix, using parts from radio shack, or something like that...it was all greek to me. The surest way for me to fix it I think, would be to replace it altogether, so I guess thats the next step.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 5:48am
Use an electronic voltage regulator:
http://www.worldpowersystems.com/AMC/dashreg/index.html
Just need a 5V regulator and some soldering skills...
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennedy9154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 6:58am
Yeah, thats the one thats greek to me.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 11:09am
It's good for young teenagers interested in classic cars to realize that not every car of the 1960s was a high horsepower V8 muscle car. Most cars weren't, and the ones that were are considered slow by modern standards anyway.

When I was 15 I thought every 1960s car was a 2-door hardtop muscle car with a big block, because what kind of 60s cars do you see at car shows? Those. I think it broadened my horizons and made me wiser to discover a wider variety.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennedy9154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 1:11am
@farna...I am talking about the voltage regulator. I know WHAT it is, and I know WHERE it is, but he seema to be talking about a whole nother thing that is in the dash panel. That, I know nothing about.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 7:01am
I bet you're thinking about the generator or alternator voltage regulator. The voltage regulator for the fuel and temp gauges is separate and on the back of the dash. It is a small "can" type piece, similar to a rectangular flasher. Google "LM7805" and you will get a pic of the electronic regulator. The mounting tab is also a ground, or you can solder a wire to the middle leg of the regulator (or the tab if you can't find a grounded screw on the instrument panel). I would ground to the panel somewhere, not just to the car body, though that should work. One of the traces from a light bulb should be ground.

All Tom did was run a small short screw into the pin holes where the regulator pushed in. One is 12V in, the other 5V out. He bent the legs of the regulator up over the regulator body and covered with epoxy after soldering the wires on, and since he used the mounting tab for ground cut the middle leg off. The epoxy is not really necessary, I've been running mine without it since 2003.

The old regulator is very much like a flasher. It has a bimetal strip that cuts on and off with heat. Hook the output to a digital voltmeter and you will never get a steady reading. An old analog (needle) voltmeter will bounce between 12V and 0V. The gauges don't need a steady 5V -- they work just fine with an average voltage of 5V. The regulator switches 12V on and off quickly, so the average output is 5V. But it bounces up an down a lot! Eventually (over MANY years... 20-40... some originals are still working!) the bimetal strip wears out and breaks.

The gauges are just as happy with a constant 5V as an average though. There is no difference in readings with the electronic constant 5V regulator than with the old bimetal averaging regulator.
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennedy9154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 11:44am
Well, thanks for clearing it up...I had no clue there were 2 of them. I still dont fully understand, but I think if I take it apart and look at it, this will all make sense. When I am driving really slowly, the speedometer makes a ticking sound, and starts jumping around...would that be another sypmtom, or another problem?
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 1:28pm
On a new (old) car to me I usually pull out the speedo cable and lube it with a light grease. It may not be the correct way, I don't know if there is anything in the TSM about it. The grease method has worked for me.

If it is the speedo unit itself that has problems then I would take it to a speedometer shop for repair.

Would be easier for you to try and score a different dash panel that has nothing wrong with either of those two items?
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennedy9154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 2:16am
Pretty sure this is within my ability to do, after reading it carefully. I am going to try to find the part this weekend and see if I can figure out how to get the guage panel out. Thanks for all the advice and input. I will take pics as I go and post them when it is finished.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic