TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

I fell victim to the Transmission Grenade!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote /6charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I fell victim to the Transmission Grenade!!!
    Posted: Jan/10/2009 at 2:10pm
This morning, while cruising the 54 west, the T-10 exploded and rained down parts all over the interstate. (mostly bell housing)  I was cruising at 75-80 when I heard a loud BAM!!  Well, I managed to get the AMX onto the base auto hobby shop where I'm currently restoring a charger.  (I think I'm financially maintaining their whole operation!!)  lol  Anyhow, from the looks of things, I'll need a new bellhousing and most likely clutch assembly.  The drive shaft looks straight, but will need the yoke repaired and double checked.  The engine was running smoothly as I pulled over to the shoulder, so I'm fairly certain that it is good to go.  The only work I have farmed out on the car was a trans re-build at Oceanside Transmission here in CA.  (hmmm...)  Has anyone out there had work done through these guys before?  It was over a year ago when I had the trans done.  I remember them quoting me a $900ish price and wound up charging double that.  Not a pleasant experience...  Anyhow, I have an opportunity to get a '92 Mustang T-5 very soon.  Do you guys think that it would be a good swap??  I've seen these done before..  http://mysite.verizon.net/amxjavelin/t5swap/t5swap.html  The AMX was originally a 290 4-spd, but had a 390 when I purchased it, so I'm not too worried about keeping things original.  I do have a t-5 out of a jeep that was paired up to a 258, would that bell work on the 390??  (I doubt it, but not sure)  Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated. 
1969 AMX 390/???-spd
reo.logan@navy.mil
/6charger View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote /6charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2009 at 2:14pm
D'oh!!  I meant to type "Transmission Grenade"   Damn!!
1969 AMX 390/???-spd
reo.logan@navy.mil
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2009 at 3:06pm
sounds like your clutch came apart. well I sure would be checking the flywheel for cracks.
and yes that Jeep T-5 bell will fit the 390.

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Jan/10/2009 at 3:18pm
/6charger View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote /6charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2009 at 3:09pm
Keeping fingers crossed, I'm about to go and pull it apart to assess the damage...  Wish me luck...
1969 AMX 390/???-spd
reo.logan@navy.mil
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2009 at 4:09pm
Wow, it sounds like you're lucky to have all your toes after that incident. Shocked

I'm with purple72, it was probably the clutch. Does the car still start? If so, the ring gear is still intact, but I would also check the flywheel for cracks.

Was it the AMX trans you had re-built? It doesn't give me a lot of confidence in that shop you mentioned if it was. $1800 and a year later it fails. Run Forest, run!

There are some threads on T5 swaps in this forum that have some good pointers. Just use the search function to find them. From what I have read, the Mustang T5 is the best candidate.

BTW, what year Charger? I assume from your screen name it's a slant six. Just curious, being I am a (partially) reformed Moparholic.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2009 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by /6charger /6charger wrote:

Keeping fingers crossed, I'm about to go and pull it apart to assess the damage...  Wish me luck...
I wish you luck.
/6charger View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote /6charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2009 at 7:30pm

Well, it's pretty messy.  I didn't have my camera with me, so I'll take pics tomorrow.  Looking things over, the bell housing is completely shattered.  The engine and trans are resting against each other in a "V" shape due to the lack of an input shaft to the T-10.  It looks like the trans case is cracked around where it bolts up to the bell.  Luckily though, the engine fan missed the radiator by a few hairs and there's zero damage in the engine compartment.  I ran out of time to actually remove the trans, so it will sit until tomorrow.  The bummer is, I believe it is the original trans with the non-hurst shifter.

I'm relieved to hear that the jeep T-5 bell will bolt up; I usually scavenge the junk yards around San Diego and rarely come across a few jems. 

The charger is a 69 model that I got for $4300 out of Reno.  I ran the VIN and found that it was a rare optioned Slant 6 Red/Red 1 of 1.  I originally was going to pull the drive line and do the 440 4-spd swap, but decided to stick with the original drive train due to rarity.   

1969 AMX 390/???-spd
reo.logan@navy.mil
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2009 at 7:44pm
Well I hope the block isnt hurt..   well you can save whats good.
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2009 at 8:06am
The block should be fine unless there was no block plate installed.  It sounds like the input shaft sheared when it was momentariy jammed and became stationary thus causing all kinds of hell to occur including destroying the clutch which blew apart and then destroyed your bell housing.   In that you were in fourth gear, it sounds to me like there was something floating around in the tranny that finally worked its way up into gear so I'll bet money that the internals gears are trashed and the shafts are bent as well.

Unfortunately there is no way to tell exactly what caused the input shaft to jam but if it was only built just a year ago I think they owe you a full refund.  If any internal shaft was worn enough to jam things uup then they should have seen it and if nothing was worn then they left a spare part or two in the tranny or something worked itself free and dropped into the gears.  Either way, it would appear that the tranny shop caused this although good luck on chasing them down.

The guy we got all the parts from has a complete Richmond 6 speed set up for an AMC V-8 if you want something hot for it.  He paid $3000 for it and will sell it for $2500.  It is new and still in all the boxes and includes everthing from bellhousing and clutch to the shifter.

Also, I think we still have a couple of AMX drive shafts left with T10 yokes it you need one.

Edited by amx39068 - Jan/12/2009 at 8:08am
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2009 at 8:09am
HOLEY BUCKETS, BATMAN! Geesh, I bet that did make a sound.
What are you pushing, 1,100 hp to the wheels?
Good luck!
For that money, it should have had all new bearing and bushings and some other new internals. Seems pricy, but then I don't know the COL where you live either.........

PS - fixed the topic for you........... myself, i subscribe to "typos-R-us"

Edited by billd - Jan/12/2009 at 8:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic