TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hypertherm 30

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hypertherm 30
    Posted: Oct/24/2013 at 9:55am
EDIT: actual review a few pages in.

Have a relative of a friend working up a price on a Hypertherm 30 for the shop Clap.

A little more expensive, well about twice as much as Eastwoods, However it has excellent reviews is American made, employees own plant and dual voltage.

I don't cut any heavy crap, stop at 1/4" on most everything.

looking forward to being able to trim up my patch panels supply of parts and do a general purge of the unneeded sections!

Thoughts anyone? I know we have done this before but things change in the industry all the time.

Edited by Wrambler - Nov/23/2013 at 8:46pm
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2013 at 2:30pm
That Hypertherm company makes a very nice piece of equipment. I have a Hypertherm 45 and I love it. You shouldn't use a plasma cutter on a lot of the body work as it MIGHT warp your metal but it is great for demolition and working on thicker metal. I have the Hypertherm 30 tips for mine and can cut with finer lines. The 45 has a thicker cutting capability and gouging feature along with a few other minor features. They both are lightweight and dual voltage.

I have done a few projects that I most likely would have walked away from if not having one of these. A plasma cutter does things a torch can't. A cut-off wheel does things a little cleaner than a plasma cutter. A plasma cutter does make a mess on the garage floor or wherever the blast-off is pointing at. A cut line is only as straight as the person holding the torch. I have a lot of wooden yard sticks. They are cheap and easier to slide along. I have ruined a nice metal straightedge. I don't use the plasma cutter very much but I would miss it if I got rid of it.

Edited by jeremy0711 - Oct/24/2013 at 3:58pm
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2013 at 3:43pm
I have a Hypertherm 350 (predecessor to the 380, which became the 30).  I use it all the time and love it.  I really only use my oxy/acetylene torch for heating things now, seldom for cutting.  My brother-in-law owns a welding supply business, and he took it in on trade.  I got it for a steal.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2013 at 4:10pm
I also have a Hypertherm Powermax 350, dual voltage is handy.  I have had for a bunch of years with great success, great for lots of repairs and fab work.  Make sure you get a "moisture block" filter for the air supply.  Moisture in the air will distroy the tips and make for very poor cutting.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2013 at 8:29pm
Thanks, the "deal" turned out to be list price.

I'd like to buy it local but we are talking $290.(yea, really)

I'm reading up on things to see what kind of pitfalls I may open myself up to depending on where I buy it.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2013 at 8:42pm
The only place local to me was airgas and that was way more then harris welding supplies online and shipped with extra 2 boxes of tips.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2013 at 7:11pm
Yea, this was airgas.
Harris is one I am looking at
Weldersource is the other

I'm trying to cross my T's on this.
It appears there are three-four repair facilities in Pittsburgh, Pa and my son lives there. So I'm pretty sure one or the other of the above places is going to get the nod on Monday.

I guess Airgas is just to big and fancy to cut any slack at all and as I said above I would pay a premium for local, but not darn near $300.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
smills61074 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smills61074 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2013 at 7:53pm
I have a hypotherm as well.   There is an hour meter inside.  Take the cover off.  I cut the back of a 73 dodge van off.  It did not warp the metal whatsoever.  The guy at the junkyard kept looking at the cut when I took the rest of van in.  It was a rust free van from California I rescued and then couldn't give away.  I cut the back off to make an outdoor cabinet. 
68 Blue AMX Perfect California Body going for 401/6 speed
1 1/4 ton Power Wagon Ex Colorado Brush Truck
2006 Caddy CTS V with LS2 and manual trans Corsa Exhaust Beater car (daily driver)
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2013 at 4:36pm
Well, After beating My R.M. until it was whimpering in the corner I ordered the Hypertherm Powermax 30 Off of Weldersource today Clap.

I really wanted to buy it local but the price difference was close to $250.
At least Weldersource is also a brick and mortar store that has been in business for years.

Can't wait to start burning a little sumpin-sumpin out in the shop. Wait, I mean cutting metal, yea, that's what I mean!

Edited by Wrambler - Nov/06/2013 at 7:50pm
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
smills61074 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smills61074 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2013 at 7:05pm
I am sure you will like it.  It will cut one layer of a quarterpanel like butter.  There is virtually no metal warpage.  And it will only burn the paint a 1/4" from the cut.  Use it for what it is made for and it will do a lot of work.  If not, I ended up driving 40 miles for a new tip.  I dismantled a whole javelin body.  The areas that have multiple layers (like where the roofline meets the quarter panel) are going to plug your tip up.  You can't cut an 1" away.  Been there and done it.  In the end, the sawsall was the perfect tool for double metal areas.  That is why you have to ever tool.  The right tool for the job. 
  Good luck on your cutting. 

68 Blue AMX Perfect California Body going for 401/6 speed
1 1/4 ton Power Wagon Ex Colorado Brush Truck
2006 Caddy CTS V with LS2 and manual trans Corsa Exhaust Beater car (daily driver)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic