TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hydro-boost on a Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydro-boost on a Javelin
    Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 2:48pm
Has anybody put a hydro-boost on a 71 - 73 Javelin? If so, what unit did you use and what did it entail? Thanks!

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Has anybody put a hydro-boost on a 71 - 73 Javelin? If so, what unit did you use and what did it entail? Thanks!

Hi, I am almost setup with a fully complete  2003 2004 Ford Mustang GT Rack and Hydroboost setup. Though I am probably the only one doing so.

I will  be posting the setup installation later in my mega modding thread.

I have not obtained the hydroboost and master cylinder yet, but know you will need to modify the mounting plate and brake apply rod for length adjustablity ,  and replace the reservior. If using existing GM power steering, a pressure restricter will be needed to run at 800psi.

There is a few here who are running GM hydroboost units with stock  or type II pumps.

Either way is straight forward... pressure out of the pump goes to the hydroboost, pressure coming out of the hydroboost is fed to the power steering unit. Bleed off from hydroboost is T fitted to the return line back to the pump or external reservior. 
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 7:41pm
I have a vanco hydroboost kit that I have not installed yet. Not positive I will... they are very popular with the jeep guys with big tires. Fairly easy to set up. Check out vancopbs.com
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 11:22pm
collecting the hydroboost stuff for my rebel. going with the ford bits
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2017 at 5:10pm
The Mustang rack I'm using in my Javelin was originally set up for a hydroboost but I didn't use it. My next build will have one from a later Mustang.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2017 at 11:20am
MOPAR_GUY, i almost forgot you asked about the hydroboost install.

I am slowly getting the main unit ready for install, mostly a few mods to the mounting plate and creation of a mounting spacer to allow fitment without hogging out the hole in the firewall.

If you want to keep the GM steering, I recommend a type II pump, and using a GM hydroboost.

Since I am on a Ford kick on my build, everything is Ford Mustang GN-97 (1998 - 2002) for the most part right down to the brakes, rack, hydraulic lines, and serpentine setup, which uses a Ford C-III pump.

It seems that both Ford and Chevy have the same or very simular Hydroboost units, which can allow for my mods to help in adapting a Hydroboost and what ever Master Cylinder you prefer.

I will be adding more info on the spacer requirements, as i will be creating a test spacer out of some scrap 1/2" aircraft Aluminum bar stock. The issue is the large retaining nut keeping the plate flush with the firewall. You need to bore a 2-1/4" hole to allow fitment.

With a Mustang unit, there is a 15° tilt upward which requires mods to oval the hole in the firewall. If replacing the plate with a universal Hydroboost adapter kit, which is about $50+, your trouble is solved by a level install. The reservoir can be replaced with a Ranger/Explorer version.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Airdrie AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2017 at 12:13pm
I am looking to change over to a hydroboost as well (72 Jav). The GM units look to be pretty big in size compared to the Ford one pictured, is there any reason why the Ford unit couldn't be used with the stock PS pump? 
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2017 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Airdrie AMX Airdrie AMX wrote:

I am looking to change over to a hydroboost as well (72 Jav). The GM units look to be pretty big in size compared to the Ford one pictured, is there any reason why the Ford unit couldn't be used with the stock PS pump? 

GM power steering uses 1200 psi, which may require the hydroboost to have special pressure regulation for assist. Ford uses 800 psi for power steering, so mixing the power steering pump with the hydroboost may be an issue with brake pressure and performance

That is odd about GM being different sized, i thought the Camaro - Vette, and S10 were very close to the Ford as Bendix makes the units... or maybe I am wrong? Don't have them side by side to tell any different.

Ford does have various sized ones used on different years and models, so there may be some comparison issues with which one from a model or year is selected.

I figured after doing my power steering pump to Ford, why not Hydroboost as well, so there really was no thought of comparing more than what I have noticed searching for hydroboost images. I chose the low milage 03/04 Cobra - GT, mainly because of wear and tare. I did notice there are some earlier Mustang hydroboosts with wider and shorter gas cylinders. The bronco guys are rotating them 15° off vertical to allow for clearance if in the way.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Airdrie AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2017 at 3:00pm
Maybe they are similar in size I was only going by pictures. I guess it would be easier to grab the hydroboost and PS pump from the same vehicle, in that case does anyone have an opinion on the best donor vehicle to look for the parts needed?
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2017 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Airdrie AMX Airdrie AMX wrote:

Maybe they are similar in size I was only going by pictures. I guess it would be easier to grab the hydroboost and PS pump from the same vehicle, in that case does anyone have an opinion on the best donor vehicle to look for the parts needed?

All GM type II power steering pumps are the same, as long as hydroboost was with the car. Like selecting Camaro or S10, so the only issue is using the right master cylinder for your brake setup. There is one thread done with a GM hydroboost using a Dodge master cylinder, because it has a proper bore and has the ports for the lines on the right side.

I searched once for It... could not find it. The title was Hydroboost anyone, I think?

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic