TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hydraulic roller lifters?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2014 at 5:10pm
Good luck! Would be an easy fix
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2014 at 7:21pm
Well, the soaking looks like it's working.  I had three stuck ones in this batch and I have managed to loosen them up by putting quite a bit of force on them but now they move.  Some more than others but I'll let them soak and play with them a little in the morning.  Hopefully whatever was bound up is what caused the excessive oil in the last set.  I'll find out after work tomorrow!
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2014 at 7:44pm
Does not shout quality if thats the case. 
I would take every one apart and clean them, good chance there may be debris inside.
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2014 at 7:48pm
You can't take them apart.  I pulled the snap ring and the cross bar attachment is in the way of the plunger coming out.  That was my very first thought.  I'm theorizing that maybe this is a fairly old set and sitting around got them stuck like that?  We shall see.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2014 at 7:55pm
It'd be nice!

Steve
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2014 at 8:16pm
Do you have access to a leak down tester? I have the tool out here in AZ. I would loan it to you if you cannot find one locally. It would be fairly expensive to ship to you though, like $40.00 or so. It is the J-tool shown in the TSM. for testing lifter leakdown. You would not have to ship it back here because I have a brother in G.R. where you could return it.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 9:22pm
I don't have a leakdown tester unfortunately.  Time is running short otherwise I'd take you up on that offer.

Good news tonight!  I was able to get the plungers in all of the lifters functioning correctly.  And the lifters are all in the motor with the preload set correctly and no valves hung open.  And the oiling seems to be alright.  Some are oiling more than others but better than the first set.  The motor is pretty much back together, just have to drop the distributor in and hook up the wires.  I'm hoping for continued good news tomorrow afternoon!
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 3:42am
FWIW, in reference to other comments, I've been running the Johnson hydraulic rollers successfully for 3 years or so, not done a lot of miles, but no issues so far. Not quite in the same lift department with mine though, 0.543/0.562" for me.

Edited by WesternRed - Oct/30/2014 at 3:46am
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 8:31am

Steve
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 7:12pm
Update?
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic