TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hydraulic roller lifters?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 6:18pm
I wish I would've bushed this block.  Just did not have the time last time it was apart.  Live and learn.  Plus then it'd add yet another step if I ever damage this block and have to replace.  Hopefully these Comp solids take care of everything.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 6:44pm
With your lift you should be good, not good for the lift I will have though.
Keep us updated with your motor! Turbo rules
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 6:55pm
This is out of the Hylift Johnson catalog. 
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 7:13pm
Well, the comp lifters are a no-go.  Oil leakage city out the bottom, wheel cutouts expose the oil galley by a lot.  Plus, they fit way sloppy in the bore.  Junk.

What are my other options that actually work?
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 7:16pm
Has anybody tried gatermans.

They are the nos maker of harley lifters. Both b and c part numbers
Not saying there perfect but it might be worth a try
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 7:54pm
The flat tappet hydraulic lifters I am using in my 401 build, soon to be completed, are from Hylift Johnson and measure 0.9046 just like the last set. 

For my Javelin 401 engine I am using their ultra light weight edm solid flat tappets and am going to turn it in the neighborhood of  8k

They do not have a retro hydraulic roller listing for AMC in their catalog but I would give them a call, they make a great product and may be able to come up with something. 

800-441-1400

Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Originally posted by ghinmi ghinmi wrote:

Are you dealing direct with Johnson or exchanging through a third party?

Joe Lewis has referred the problem to someone who has contacted me directly. I send him video of the rocker arms oiling. Haven't heard back from him yet.

-Steve-

Got an e-mail fro the guy Joe Lewis referred the issue to. He said he's going to phone me to discuss it.

-Steve-

Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 9:20pm
ghinmi, which part number Comp rollers did you get? 848-16? 861-16? Did you measure the diameter?

The Gaterman lifters are listed as same for Chrysler, so likely not correct diameter:
http://www.gatermanproducts.com/index_files/Page404.htm

Could buy a pair of Crane's to check?
Hydraulic rollers:
http://www.cranecams.com/product/cart.php?m=product_list&c=11199
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/crn-86532-2/overview/

Solid rollers (the ones they list are for Mopar, so likely not correct diameter):
http://www.cranecams.com/product/cart.php?m=product_list&c=11232

Can't say if these will be any better? I've got the old Crane 86518-16 in my engine since 2008 or so?

Hope this helps,RD.

Edited by Red Devil - Oct/24/2014 at 9:24pm
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 9:22pm
They're the 861-16.  Have not measured them but they are a very sloppy fit compared to the Johnsons or other flat tappets I've run in this motor.

I might as well just buy a set of everything offered for an AMC at this point, it's only money and I've already wasted enough of it this month on lifters and pushrods. 
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 9:32pm
I'm just wondering if any one has had a set of those gatermans and measured them.
I think johnson will make the to your diameter spec.
I'll have to check with my guy, but I'm sure they said that they will.
It might be a custom order though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic