TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hydraulic roller lifters?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 7:15am
Originally posted by crossramrambler crossramrambler wrote:

I have the Crane lifters and about 1200 miles so far 595 lift with no problems.....Jim

Thanks for the input!

Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

I would go with solid lifters also but it still doesent make sense because Johnson talks bad about limited travel lifters in their catalog so there should not be such short travel in the product you have seeing they do not seem to offer one.

I believe that it's a quality control problem of some sort. Some of the lifters are fine, some have super short or no travel, and one has a TON of travel. I wish I could take them apart but the attachment for the tie bar is in the way of the plunger being removed.

Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Joe Lewis has referred the problem to someone who has contacted me directly. I send him video of the rocker arms oiling. Haven't heard back from him yet.

-Steve-

Well that solves that, guess I'll just return them for a refund. I don't have time to goof around anymore if they don't have a solution ready to ship today. Comp solids it is unless anyone has any objections.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 8:49am
Put the solids on and lash it at .005-.010 and it will be fine.
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 9:04am
Originally posted by ghinmi ghinmi wrote:

What are my choices?  I asked once before and got no help.  I am on my second set of defective Johnson lifters.  The first set I exchanged through the seller, I'm going to try to deal with Johnson direct this time.  If I can't get something worked out, what are my other choices?  I see that Crane lists a set, are they any good and will they work in an un-bushed lifter bore?  Any other choices?

Thanks,
Greg

Greg, which second party company did you get your lifters from?

Steve
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Are you dealing direct with Johnson or exchanging through a third party?

Joe Lewis has referred the problem to someone who has contacted me directly. I send him video of the rocker arms oiling. Haven't heard back from him yet.

-Steve-

Joe Lewis is the contact at the second Johnson lifter outfit.

Steve
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Slate Slate wrote:

What are my choices?  I asked once before and got no help.  I am on my second set of defective Johnson lifters.  The first set I exchanged through the seller, I'm going to try to deal with Johnson direct this time.  If I can't get something worked out, what are my other choices?  I see that Crane lists a set, are they any good and will they work in an un-bushed lifter bore?  Any other choices?

Thanks,
Greg

Greg, which second party company did you get your lifters from?

Steve

The chain of custody is kind of a mystery to me. I bought them from my local-ish engine shop, I know that they are not direct with Johnson so I know they must get them from a supply house of some sort. They have been in stock locally both times so they must keep an inventory of them.

Going back and reading some posts, I think it's relevant to clarify that these are the Johnson Lifters brand, www.johnsonlifters.com and the specific ones I'm dealing with are here. http://www.johnsonlifters.com/Products/HydraulicRollerLifters/2511AMX.aspx
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:03pm
Do you have a mix of standard (2511AMX) and short-travel (ST2511AMX) lifters or just the plunger seems stuck on some and too free on others? If they have the heavy-duty retaining rings for the plunger, could run near top of travel but not ideal. IIRC, short travel have 1/8-1/4 turn max preload.
http://www.johnsonlifters.com/Products/HydraulicRollerLifters.aspx

Comp lists 8960-16 hydraulic rollers for AMC ... but haven't seen anything on them?
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=CC&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=8960-16

Seen a few posts on people using the Crane hydraulic rollers and haven't heard of issues?

If you don't mind adjusting lash, solids may be better ... but other than Johnson, not sure who's lifters work without bushing bores or using a small base circle cam? Crane doesn't list the 86518-16 solid rollers anymore and not sure if the 66550-16 work as they are listed also for Chrysler, so likely not correct diameter for AMC .

If you have to bush bores to make it work, maybe bush to a Chevy or Ford diameter for more options?

Hope this helps,RD.

Edited by Red Devil - Oct/22/2014 at 12:27pm
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:04pm
Ok, the link you provided is for the second Johnson and you can compare notes with Rebel.

The information below pertains to the Johnson I'm speaking of, and Jcisworthy seems to be the guy to ask about them.

Their contact info:
Paul Plebanek
Hylift-Johnson Sales
800-441-1400 ext 609

Steve
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

Do you have a mix of standard (2511AMX) and short-travel (ST2511AMX) lifters or just the plunger seems stuck on some and too free on others? If they have the heavy-duty retaining rings for the plunger, could run near top of travel but not ideal. IIRC, short travel have 1/8-1/4 turn max preload.
http://www.johnsonlifters.com/Products/HydraulicRollerLifters.aspx

Comp lists 8960-16 hydraulic rollers for AMC ... but haven't seen anything on them?
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=CC&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=8960-16

Seen a few posts on people using the Crane hydraulic rollers and haven't heard of issues?

If you don't mind adjusting lash, solids may be better ... but other than Johnson, not sure who's lifters work without bushing bores or using a small base circle cam? Crane doesn't list the 86518-16 solid rollers anymore and not sure if the 66550-16 work as they are listed also for Chrysler, so likely not correct diameter for AMC .

If you have to bush bores to make it work, maybe bush to a Chevy or Ford diameter for more options?

Hope this helps,RD.

Nope, they're all the standard ones, just the plunger movement is different in all of them. Ranging from no movement to very excessive. I'll be returning them for a refund and have a set of Comp solids on the way.
401Ambo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 5:48pm
I have a set of Crane hydraulic roller lifters, have a couple of thousand mile on them - no problems. Older set, had them for at least ten years, bought them before Crane Cams was sold.

Installed a set of Johnson hydraulic roller lifters in another engine, haven't quite finished the build. Seemed to adjust properly. They are a bit over two years old.
'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 5:59pm
I've been reading and watching all the discussion about lifters and am bushing my lifter bores for more options and less oiling.
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic