TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hydraulic roller lifters?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydraulic roller lifters?
    Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 8:08pm
What are my choices?  I asked once before and got no help.  I am on my second set of defective Johnson lifters.  The first set I exchanged through the seller, I'm going to try to deal with Johnson direct this time.  If I can't get something worked out, what are my other choices?  I see that Crane lists a set, are they any good and will they work in an un-bushed lifter bore?  Any other choices?

Thanks,
Greg
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 9:12pm
What is the defect in your lifters?

I'm on my second set of Johnson rollers lifters as well. The only issue I have with them is they flow too much oil to the valvetrain.

-Steve-
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 9:29pm
I'm having issues with the plunger not having enough travel.  I go to zero lash then 1/4 turn and it bottoms out, hanging the valve open.  Some of the lifters have basically zero movement and act like a solid, some have a little, some feel normal, and I have one that has close to 1/4" of movement (estimate).  Plus a few really pump the oil up the pushrod like you're experiencing.

Are you dealing direct with Johnson or exchanging through a third party?
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 9:37pm
So it looks like Crane is about the only other option?  But I hear of issues with high lift?  Can I get away with .574 (.359 lobe) lift on them?

What about solid rollers?  I see that Crane and Comp both list them.
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 9:43pm
Use solid lifters, no need to fool around
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 9:46pm
Johnson recommends 0.020 - 0.040 on any of their hydraulic lifters. 
What method are you using to adjust the valves? 
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

Use solid lifters, no need to fool around

Which solid lifters are a direct drop in with no issues?

Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

Johnson recommends 0.020 - 0.040 on any of their hydraulic lifters. 
What method are you using to adjust the valves? 

I'm intending to go 1/4 turn past zero.  But even at that point it's hanging valves open on most lifters.  I only checked four lifters on this set but the first set had several with no movement at all, just like a solid.
crossramrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossramrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 9:54pm
 I have the Crane lifters and about 1200 miles so far 595 lift with no problems.....Jim
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 5:27am
I would go with solid lifters also but it still doesent make sense because Johnson talks bad about limited travel lifters in their catalog so there should not be such short travel in the product you have seeing they do not seem to offer one. 
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 6:33am
Originally posted by ghinmi ghinmi wrote:

Are you dealing direct with Johnson or exchanging through a third party?

Joe Lewis has referred the problem to someone who has contacted me directly. I send him video of the rocker arms oiling. Haven't heard back from him yet.

-Steve-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic