TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hydraulic Cam Selection Spreadsheet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 2:23pm

To simplify things and have a better chance of getting the best cam for you're particular combo, just call Tim at Bullet cams and discuss it with him. He's a 30 year associate of Harold Brookshire (Ultradyne Cams). It may cost a few $$ more than an off the shelf variety, but well worth it. Be sure to verify that it will be ground on their computerized machine. He will have both Ultradyne and Bullet profiles to select from.

You can't establish the accuracy of a cam by simply degreeing the #1 cylinder, it's about all 8 cylinders and their relation to each other. Besides most profiles are based on a Chevy lifter diameter and generally it's not translated to the AMC diameter, hence the benefit of modern day computerized grinding machines and a smart operator. It took Lunati 2 attempts to get one of Harold's profiles reasonably accurate for me.

SKeown 

Edited by SKeown - May/27/2016 at 2:38pm
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by SKeown SKeown wrote:

To simplify things and have a better chance of getting the best cam for you're particular combo, just call Tim at Bullet cams and discuss it with him. He's a 30 year associate of Harold Brookshire (Ultradyne Cams). It may cost a few $$ more than an off the shelf variety, but well worth it. Be sure to verify that it will be ground on their computerized machine. He will have both Ultradyne and Bullet profiles to select from.

SKeown 

Yep. That's what I did.

The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 2:48pm
I guess if there are 10 people there are 10 opinions, it helps to have some idea what your particular objective is when it comes to choosing a cam. I am quite happy building a street motor and driving it that way and have used a number of Iskenderian cams quite successfully. And their tech support is always willing to talk to you. So if the objective is to have a quick and reliable street motor, Iskenderian has worked well for me.
Now if I was building a drag racing motor?
AMC had a viable completive motor back in the day, but frankly I don't think I have enough money today to try to make an AMC motor competitive any more, not when I can purchase motors with state of the art oiling systems, fuel systems, cooling system and as many as 6 bolts holding the mains in place and get a factory warranty to do it with. It is still fun to build one, but ridiculously expensive to push the edge of the box they come in now.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

I guess if there are 10 people there are 10 opinions, it helps to have some idea what your particular objective is when it comes to choosing a cam. I am quite happy building a street motor and driving it that way and have used a number of Iskenderian cams quite successfully. And their tech support is always willing to talk to you. So if the objective is to have a quick and reliable street motor, Iskenderian has worked well for me.
Now if I was building a drag racing motor?
AMC had a viable completive motor back in the day, but frankly I don't think I have enough money today to try to make an AMC motor competitive any more, not when I can purchase motors with state of the art oiling systems, fuel systems, cooling system and as many as 6 bolts holding the mains in place and get a factory warranty to do it with. It is still fun to build one, but ridiculously expensive to push the edge of the box they come in now.

That's all true, and Ed Iskenderian had his day in the sun until Harvey Crane introduced Computerized cams, Then Harold Brookshire improved on that with his design approach. That opinion is based on actual results. If good enough is satisfactory then anyone's cam will meet that objective. It's the small details that add up when attempting to make a vintage or modern day internal combustion engine obtain it's best performance potential. The best bargain and bang for buck is you're camshaft selection, don't spare a few $$ in that area, It's the engine's heart beat.

SKeown 
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 6:18pm
I agree - you'll get the best results by working with a camshaft supplier who's willing to listen and grind you something that will make the most of your combination and application. It's not much more $$ to get that to happen - maybe as little as $100 more compared to a "catalog" cam.

Still though it still seems 9 out of 10 AMC street motors that I run across are running a "catalog" cam. This tool should help folks stay out of the ditch and give them the ability to choose a "catalog" cam based on their own goals and preferences.

If you want an aggressive ramp and are willing to accept the additional noise and faster wear you can select that, if you don't, you can select that as well. If you want to stay under 0.500" lift and run stock rockers you can select that. If you want to run on lower octane gas you can select that.

It's not trying to find you a cam that pushes the edge - if you get the DCR wrong you'll have a bog dog or an engine that knocks and overheats. Lots of guys are on a budget, so if they pick wrong and the cam idles like my wife's minivan they're stuck with it for a long time. That's no fun.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 6:37pm

If good enough is satisfactory then .

SKeown 

If that is an objective? Then it can be met and one way is to bolt in one of the Iskenderian cams as if it was an OEM cam and discover it is fast, reliable and tunable. Up to and including passing smog if that too is an objective.
I've actually had pretty good luck asking them to grind something special for me.
As far as idling like your wife's mini-van, I don't know about yours but mine is developing close to 300HP out of 3.6L or less than 200 Cu In and with a 6 speed transmission, it actually is kinda fun. Variable cam shaft technology has a lot of things going for it.
It all comes down to defining the objective you want to meet.
That is not done too often and a lot of folk are quite dissatisfied with the end result for not doing so.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

If good enough is satisfactory then .

SKeown 

If that is an objective? Then it can be met and one way is to bolt in one of the Iskenderian cams as if it was an OEM cam and discover it is fast, reliable and tunable. Up to and including passing smog if that too is an objective.
I've actually had pretty good luck asking them to grind something special for me.
As far as idling like your wife's mini-van, I don't know about yours but mine is developing close to 300HP out of 3.6L or less than 200 Cu In and with a 6 speed transmission, it actually is kinda fun. Variable cam shaft technology has a lot of things going for it.
It all comes down to defining the objective you want to meet.
That is not done too often and a lot of folk are quite dissatisfied with the end result for not doing so.
Variable valve timing is the way of the future or past i have articles of vv timing from the 60`s..Now with the wide range vvt on intake and exhaust they are also controlling compression ratio`s also...
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 11:15pm

My experience with variable valve timing was on the Q45 Infiniti, I understand they have since eliminated it on the Q engines. I was selling SAAB's in Toronto when the Infinity was introduced there, about the same time GM partnered with SAAB and merged with Saturn there.

Anyway, now I'm responsible for Infiniti sales with the same group with the showroom actually being a two car boutique in the Yorkville area of the city. If a tire kicker came in they went to my assistant, If a pipe smoking engineer showed interest (similar to a typical SAAB buyer) then I would give them a full dose. Part of the presentation was showing off the variable valve timing.

After the road test demonstrating the active suspension, anti lock brakes and their awesome performance we would return and go over the outside of the car indoors. The Infiniti's fuel injection plenum is machined flat and parallel to the ground making it ideal for this routine. I would start the engine and raise the hood, then take one of Canada's one doller (Luney) coin's and stand it up on edge atop the engine then actuate the throttle by hand to 7000 RPM and back to idle with the coin still standing. We had Roles Royce, Jaguar, Range Rover among other high end marques across the street, I would then suggest they go there and request the same demonstration. I never knew of a single person opting for a Lexus LS 400 after getting the Infiniti "full dose".

Thanks for allowing this walk down memory lane.

SKeown   

Edited by SKeown - May/27/2016 at 11:23pm
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2016 at 1:59am
hi, so you work in TO, but your location is Texas? long commute, no? I grew up in Hamilton, Ont.
As for cams, I have been driving AMCs EXCLUSIVELY, since 1986, and have had about 5 engines rebuilt. ALL used "off the shelf" cams. just because I did not know better then. Mostly Comp. Cams, 1 Edelbrock, and one Crower. Oh, and one, My first, (ok, 6 engines) a no name generic. (Hey, I was 26 and broke, ok?) The Crower was in my 258 that I dd drove for over 15 years, my favourite by far. Never even Heard of Iskendrian Cams until lately. Seems the Isky 256 is the way to for a 258, may try that on my next motor..
Never heard of Bullet Cams either!
Anyway, considering another AMC engine build. a 77 258, just for cruising, no racing! But, I would like a little more power than the anemic 95-110 stock hp. Just so I don't get embarrassed by the Fiat 500s, and Nissan Leafs! at stoplights. is that too much to ask?:) Hey, the 77 Hornet AMX looks cool, but it is slow!
BTW, in my last engine, an 84 258 in an Eagle sedan, i used an "off the shelf" Comp Cam. their "mild" one #68-201-4, 260 lift. it's smooth, and has noticeably more power than the tired stock one, but not as much as the Crower "Baja" beast in my first Eagle. I'm getting older, I was going for "smooth".
Anyway, long story short, if I do ANOTHER 258, for a Hornet, do I go with the Isky 256, or a custom grind from , say Bullet? And If I want a custom grind, what do I ask for? I want this engine to be a streetable, yet performance oriented 258, unlike my Eagle, which is to be a dd., so it's gotta be Smooooth!
Anyway, recommendations anyone? 
What can a poor boy do!
Except play for a rock and roll band
"Cause you see, being London town
There's just no place
for a Street Fighting Man!
Y'all have a great holiday weekend, gz
george z
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2016 at 3:02am

Yep, SE Texas to Toronto is a fer piece apart. I spent many years working for and being placed by SAAB throughout the US and Canada. Once SAAB and GM merged I finished out my contract/ work permit there in Toronto then returned to SAAB in the US. I loved Canada and saw Stevie Ray voughan and Joe Cocker there in Hamilton just weeks before Stevie lost his life. Once retired I returned to Texas where I grew up. I rely on a Canuck Ken Parkman for cylinder head work and credit him and Tim at Bullet primarily for the ability to coax the pump gas street driven 68 AMX that I bought new to 10.25 ET at the track. I recommend you contact Bullet to see if they have 6 cylinder blanks, if so follow TIM's lead after explaining what you are hoping to achieve.

SKeown

Edited by SKeown - May/28/2016 at 3:21am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic