TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hurst shifter install problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurst shifter install problems
    Posted: Jun/06/2017 at 8:52pm
Has anyone else had trouble installing a Hurst Competition Plus shifter into a Javelin or AMX? On my '68 AMX the shift arms are hitting the transmission crossmember and the shifter housing is hitting the floor. I have ordered a new trans mount in case my original has collapsed somewhat, but when I bought the shifter I was assured by Hurst that no floorpan mods would be necessary.
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2017 at 11:36am
Regardless of Hurst's claims, the Competition Plus shifter requires a good bit of massaging of the shifter hump AND the trans floor/tunnel to fit into a 68 AMX. 3 of my 4 68 AMX's came with the Hurst Comp Plus shifters and were all butchered to some degree to make them fit. I've replaced 2 of the Hurst units with rebuilt original ITM shifters and repaired the floors and replaced the shifter humps to return them to original condition. Don't know about the arms hitting the crossmember, you might check the condition of your trans mount. Also, the Hurst Comp Plus has no mechanism for a back-up light switch, if that's of any concern. The mid 69 changover to the AMC Hurst shifter (completely different from the Comp Plus) has a back-up light switch mount, but they are very hard to come by.
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2017 at 12:56pm
Sidewinder just went through this with his 68 Javelin. He modified the trans crossmember to make those aftermarket shift rods clear everything properly.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2017 at 11:58pm
not for an AMX, but more than once i spent many hours bending shift rods to clear all the bumps and protrusions around the trans. i'd work out a bend, put the rod in a vise, heat the spot cherry red, make the bend, plunge cold water. lather, rinse, repeat. 
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2017 at 6:27am
i put a thread on here many month ago about the problem i had about the afte market one and finally found the correct one.
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 12:12pm
I have run into the same problems in a 68 AMX.  Installed a new trans mount (still flops around quite a bit).  Brand was Anchor bought from Summit Racing of all places.  I tried spacing the mount up around a 1/4" but the linkage still hit the crossmember at times.  I finally broke down and removed the 1/4" spacers and notched the crossmemember.  Havent got far along enough to see what might have to be changed on the floor-pan.  The plastic 69 Hurst cover goes for around $60 on the usual repo vendors.
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2017 at 6:08pm
I ran into this trouble on my American ended up cutting the opening of the floor a little bigger and modifying the cross member
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic