TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hurst Competition 4 Speed Shifter Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurst Competition 4 Speed Shifter Question
    Posted: Dec/04/2007 at 2:11am
Hi Guys:

This question involves the Borg-Warner T-10 4 speed and the Hurst Competition Shifter....

Did the shift levers (the short ones on the three shift shafts) come with the Hurst shifter OR are they a part of the transmission?

Or in other words, did they come with the shifter kit?

Second question....

Is there a current modern Hurst Competition Shifter that can fit the 1968-69 Borg-Warner T-10 from AMC?

If not, what exactly does not fit with the new line of Hurst shifters?

Is it the Mounting of the shifter body?

The three long (and short) shifter rods?

The three short shifter shafts?

Slightly confused, as it does seem that Hurst does make shifters for other makes using the T-10.

Thanks
Art In Connecticut

Nothing Lasts Forever... If you give it enough TIME

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

1991 ERA Cobra Replica - 428 & Toploader

2016 Tesla P90D with Ludicrous Mode

2011 Volvo XC60
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2007 at 3:39am
OEM Hurst shifters are different than the aftermarket T10 shifters. The original C+ linkage is unique to the Hurst Shifter. You can make an aftermarket Shifter work, but I believe the location is not the same. I am unaware of anyone making the currently available shifter fit/look like the original. 
AMO Newsletter Editor
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2007 at 4:50am
Mr. Gasket sold out Hurst Shifters to B&M Transmission awhile back.
Have read somewhere that they're "not the same" since the sale.
No first hand experience though, only hear say.
Was reading a post somewhere that a guy was re-making his own rods at least.
Had pictures posted, and a cool link to a Vavloline Tech link that had
some good info on adding linkage stop bolts in pilot holes or something.

Cool 
CloudyB View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloudyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2007 at 12:08pm
Hey 12 gauge
Give Mike a call
He makes everything you need .Great customer service.Awesome work
Great guy too.
12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2007 at 4:03am
Cloudy:
Mike is right in my back yard!  I totally forgot about him and I will indeed give him a call... he makes some really nice parts.
Thanks for the tip!
Art In Connecticut

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

2011 Volvo XC60
12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2007 at 4:30am
Well SANTA did arrive really REALLY early!  Mike Semeraro gave me a call to inform me that the Hurst Comp Shifter was done and ready to go.  I drove up to his house and picked it up.  Marvelous job.  Mike had it all set up on his T10 to test it out.  It works perfectly.  All new innards and clip bushing kit and all the rods freshend up,  reverse threads redone and a newly chromed shifter stalk.   This baby is fine fine fine.  He told me it could be done by March and here it is the day before XMAS!  Gotta Love it.

BTW, Mike is doing a rotissery restoration of an SC/Ramber.  The body is in primer having been recently media blasted and he is now working on the rusted areas of the floor pans and such.  Very cool setup he has.

Art In Connecticut

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

2011 Volvo XC60
CloudyB View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloudyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2007 at 4:53am
Thank God I don't live by you guys.I'd be hanging out there all the time and Mike wouldn't get anything done.lol.lol.
Great Christmas Gift.
12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2007 at 5:30am
Yah, you are not kiddin!  He has 3 390's in the garage all built up and had probably 75+ AMX's that have passed thru his hands over the years.  He told me at one time he never had fewer that 4 AMX's in the yard at any one time.  This is, BTW, a common theme amongst the severly AMX smitten/stricken crowd here abouts in Connecicut.

But really,  I have pretty much always found AMC guys to be the nicest and most helpful of all the car fraternity! 
Merry Xmas to All!
Holiday Cheers!

Art In Connecticut

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

2011 Volvo XC60
JL1924 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JL1924 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2016 at 7:06pm
Hi,
   I am a new member of the AMCForum and have recently acquired a 1968
AMX, 390 4speed with the OEM 4speed shifter. Back in Dec. 2007 you posted a website: http://www.amxmgs.com and mentioned a fellow named Mike who I got the idea worked on 4 speed shifters.
   My shifter seems to be pretty stiff trying to get into 1st or reverse, but actually shifts very well once 1st is finally found. Also, have very little side to side play when in neutral.
   Apparently that website is no longer active. Do you have a good website address for this fellow, or if not, do you know OEM 4speed gurus you could recommend to contact for rebuild help? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
JL1924
azfletch View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2016 at 10:14am
JL1924, If your shifter is hard to engage into Reverse and 1st gear, I would recommend checking and replacing your rubber transmission mount.  When they fail (often) the transmission drops down and the shift rods come in contact with the trans cross member.  It may be a good time to check the motor mounts while your at it.

Edited by azfletch - Oct/11/2016 at 7:36pm
Mark Fletcher
72 AMX 401 with 6K original miles.
70 Mark Donohue Javelin, 390 4 speed with 47K miles.
70 AMX, 390 AT, AC Randall car.
67 Rogue Barbados Blue 290 225HP 4 speed convertible 71K miles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic