TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hurst Comp Shifter Reverse Switch Connector

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurst Comp Shifter Reverse Switch Connector
    Posted: Dec/31/2007 at 5:42am
Hi Guys:

The termination electrical connector, for the back up light switch on the shifter, (which appears original to my car 1968) has two female round recepticals. 

The new back up switch on the 1969 Hurst Shifter has two male spade connectors which are set up perpendicular to each other.  And as such, they will not fit into my original back up light wire connector with the round holes.

So, where do you think I might be able to find such a connector?  A search of APD and Kennedy and Galvins reveals nothing.  I wonder if this migh be available from one of the auto parts chain stores like Auto Zone or Advanced?  If I can find it I would have to remove the old connector and solder in the new one.

Any help pointing me in the correct direction would be appreciated.

Happy New Years!
Art In Connecticut

Nothing Lasts Forever... If you give it enough TIME

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

1991 ERA Cobra Replica - 428 & Toploader

2016 Tesla P90D with Ludicrous Mode

2011 Volvo XC60
uh60 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uh60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2007 at 6:59am
I made the same change in shifters and cut off my old connector and just put on two of the crimp on female spade connectors. I know its not orginal but the shifter wasn't either, just a vast improvement over the stock shifter.

Mike
Mike Griffis

68 AMX 390 4sp

66 Ambo Convt. 327, 4 speed
12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2007 at 8:32am
Hi Mike:
If push comes to shove that is what I will do.  In the meantime, I will see if I can't find something. 

Mike on another question, did you install the Hurst "hump" metal plate that covers the shifter hole?  Was there any fabrication that needed to be done to the central hump for it to fit?

Art In Connecticut

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

2011 Volvo XC60
WiSeNhEiMeR View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WiSeNhEiMeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2007 at 1:55pm
Can you make a short 1" wire "jumper" with the round connectors on one end and the spade lugs on the other?

I know BELDEN Wire & Cable (sold through NAPA) makes those ROUND connectors in both Male & Female and spade lug male & female connectors are available everywhere ... seems like a short jumper keeps everything original intact and will mate up to your new shifter's back-up light switch too?

WiSeNhEiMeR

Edited by WiSeNhEiMeR - Dec/31/2007 at 1:56pm
Don't Mind ME,

I'm Just a WiSeNhEiMeR

N.A.M.D.R.A. #398
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2007 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by WiSeNhEiMeR WiSeNhEiMeR wrote:

Can you make a short 1" wire "jumper" with the round connectors on one end and the spade lugs on the other?

I know BELDEN Wire & Cable (sold through NAPA) makes those ROUND connectors in both Male & Female and spade lug male & female connectors are available everywhere ... seems like a short jumper keeps everything original intact and will mate up to your new shifter's back-up light switch too?

WiSeNhEiMeR

That's a lot better idea than cutting your original harness. I know it's a short section of the harness (the B/U harness connects under the dash by the radio) but those harness sections are not currently being reproduced. Anyone consider asking Jeff Bristow (313-525-1284) about having the B/U harnesses reproduced? I recently sold a used 69-70 B/U harness on ebay for over $100 so I know there's a market...
12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2008 at 1:00am
Yes the Jumper sounds like the best way to go and it will preserve the wiring harness as is.

Thanks for that great Idea!
Art In Connecticut

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

2011 Volvo XC60
uh60 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uh60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2008 at 3:39am
12 gauge

Yes you have to trim some away if you use the 68 hump. I think I also had to trim a little on the tunnel under the hump. I used a small square Hurst boot with a round hole. I had to weld a small extension on the hump to have a screw hole for the boot and trim. I know its not orginal and its a 43K mile car but the shifter is worth the difference. I drive the car and any improvements to make it drive better with more reliability the better. I just save anything I take off.

Mike
Mike Griffis

68 AMX 390 4sp

66 Ambo Convt. 327, 4 speed
CloudyB View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloudyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2008 at 10:39pm
(the B/U harness connects under the dash by the radio)
Just wondering if anyone has a pic of this.

12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2008 at 10:09am
Cloudy:
I will snap a pic of this and post it here as my interior and rugs are all apart right now.  Check Back.

Art In Connecticut

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

2011 Volvo XC60
CloudyB View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloudyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2008 at 11:57am
Thanks 12 gauge.I put my hurst shifter in and was looking under the car for the bu harness. lol.I know quit laughing. Awhile back I was all under the radio looking for a ground plug when I was putting in the rally Pack.
Hey I'm learning every day.(From you Guys)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic