TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hurst 4 speed shifter problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurst 4 speed shifter problem
    Posted: Jan/13/2015 at 2:13pm
I have a 70 AMX with a T-10 tranny. After replacing the seals, gaskets, O-rings and bushings after an inspection, I mounted the Hurst Comp Plus shifter and rods for alignment while I have this all on the engine stand and not under the car. After taking the shifter and letting it soak all day in a solvent tank and blasting with hi pressure washer to remove all the grease dirt and grime, I mounted it on the tranny and did the alignment. My problem is, to get 1st gear fully engaged, it engages reverse also. NOT GOOD. Glad that I'm finding this out now. While shifting into first gear the 1-2 shift rod interferes with the reverse shift rod and engaging it also. If I remove the spring loaded pin that holds the 1-2 rod onto the shifter throw, it provides enough room for the two rods to miss and all is well. I'm sure that I didn't bend or drop anything while removing engine and tranny. Is there something within the shifter itself that is worn or not correct? Will shimming something correct this. Nothing appears bent or loose. Sure it is original. Hurst Competition Plus. Maybe nickel plated. Number on it is 10906210. I'm taking it was built in Jan 70? This would be right as the build sticker on the drivers door is Feb 70.
Thanks
Steveo
SC
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2015 at 2:18pm
Is it possible that you flipped one of the shift arms on the trans during re-assembly? Pics would help a lot.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2015 at 3:02pm
Could you post a picture of the shifter and rods....that would help me compare?????
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2015 at 3:43pm
I try posting a pix later tonight. I didn't remove the rods from the shifter just on the tranny while doing the service. 1/8" makes a big difference, but still.....
SC
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2015 at 7:42pm
 My first attempt at a picture. Still need a little tutoring here. Comparing this to others, it is looking the same. This is the way I found it. Doesn't mean it's right.
SC
401fanatic View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401fanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2015 at 8:08pm
Is not reverse upside down?
74 javelin 401 t-10 3.91 twin grip.
74 javelin 401 998 3.54 twin grip.                            
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2015 at 8:42pm
Does it only engage reverse when first is engaged? What ectent did you take it apart - I assume you removed the tail housing to replace the midplate gaskets and bushing?
AMO Newsletter Editor
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2015 at 9:24pm
Removed tail housing to replace bushing and seal.
SC
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2015 at 9:25pm
Don't think the reverse is upside down. The hole on the bottom is for the linkage for steering wheel lock ignition key removal.
SC
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2015 at 11:12pm
Take a pic from behind the shifter in neutral and another behind the shifter pic with first engaged. Make sure the arms are visible.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic