TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hunter---69 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 11:41am
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

looking great Joe. If you are running the stock hurst shifter you have the wrong shifter hum there - that is the metal one for the 68/e69 non hurst style. You should be able to still get the correct on from Amark.

I might also have the correct one here somewhere then. I sold an original Inland shifter so I do plan to run the Hurst.  I will put the present shifter bezel up for sale.  Thanks.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 12:43pm
Ok I have lots of projects and sometimes I don't have much motivation, but I am back on the AMX project.  I am reassembling the factory short block 343 that I bought for the car years ago.  I thought I would provide some details below about how the factory built an engine, based on this block.

It appears the factory used some Permatex to seal the gallery plugs, based on the residue.

The crated was dated 1973 but it appears the engine was cast on the 191th day of 1972.  Just a deduction based on the date of the rod bearings shown below.  It is a Central Foundaries block (CFD logo shown.)

The block was cast on the 10th hour of the second shift (or it might be 10 p.m., not sure).  

The factory used a 360 block to produce the 343 service block, since 343 production was long discontinued.  They used head bolt hole inserts to convert to 7/16th head bolts for a true service block which could be installed with the original heads and head bolts in the field. I think I bought ARP 7/16ths head bolts long ago and do plan to use them.

As a service block, the 360 displacement was ground off.

A 528 (casting number for the 360) is cast inside the block which I had never noticed before.

The cast crank is a 3193816.  I have not checked to see if that matches the actual casting number of the earlier 343's but I don't suppose it makes any difference.   It is not an Armasteel crank, more's the pity.

Main bearing clearance was spot on at .002 inches for all the journals.  Thank you AMC.   I did not check rod clearance yet the crank turns easlily after each piston is inserted and the rod caps tightened.   Maybe I am lazy or too trusting but it is my motor and I will live with it. 

The factory had lightly oiled the head bolts.  So if you are wondering whether you should assemble them dry, hey, the factory lightly oiled them.

Rod bearings are dated April 1972.  The upper and lower bearings appear to be identical, but I noticed the L on one bearing in each set and used that bearing as the lower bearing for each rod.  By the way on this new engine the copper was showing for all main bearings except for one.  There did not ever appear to be a silver coating over the copper, but I neglected to get a picture before assembling the motor.

I think I mentioned before that I had the engine professionally balanced.  The shop reported that factory balance was nothing to brag about.  But they broke a compression ring and didn't tell me.  I called them and a new ring will be here next week.  

Below:  707 rods were used.  This will be a street motor so I did not take any extra measures like shot peening or any other flash cleanup performed.   I am considering the use of an old Viking 100 Erson cam for a 1960's lopey idle, but I have two other aftermarket cams to choose from too.  The original AMC cam which is never been run will be for sale for a few bucks.

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 8:27am
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

The crankshaft was 152 grams (1/3 of a pound for you non-metric guys, ha) out of balance.  He said AMC would have been more correct if they had not drilled the crank as much as they did for the factory balance. 

Strange, since AMC would dynamically balance their engines on a big electric motor,
crazy that it would have been so far off.

It sounds like either heavier than stock pistons made it into the engine,
or it somehow ended up with a 290 crank(?).

Interesting build either way, thanks for posting it. Smile
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 12:26pm
Smile Joe, Thanks for posting another example of the CID numbers being ground off of a service block, AFTER it was cast
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by 69BBB3904spAMX 69BBB3904spAMX wrote:

Smile Joe, Thanks for posting another example of the CID numbers being ground off of a service block, AFTER it was cast

yeah. You can see how they did this.The block I had in question had orbital sand marks & filler under paint 😒
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic