TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hunter---69 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by 69BBB3904spAMX 69BBB3904spAMX wrote:

Smile Joe,

Keep all the exterior original paint and buff it out. They are only original paint once and this looks like it can be a very presentable survivor.

X2
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2017 at 3:47pm
I have been further investigating what carpet color (and kit) I should order to replace the sun-faded rear carpet over the wheel wells and back panel.  I ordered both the "black" swatch and the "charcoal" swatch from Stock Interiors.  I went out to the car today to compare to unfaded portions of the carpet.  My job was made easier because when I lifted up the corner of the front portion after removing the sill plate, the JP Stevens label was there.  Pictured below are the two swatches compared to unfaded carpet and the JP Stevens label.  So though my car has charcoal leather interior, the carpet is definitely black.  Also, note that the carpet label designates it as Javelin carpet, so the AMX and Javelin carpets (front portions) were obviously the same.  The 4ST on the label probably means 4-speed standard shift.  I know this stuff is obvious to old time AMCers but it is fascinating to me to confirm it with real world evidence.  Joe

Edited by pacerman - Jun/12/2017 at 3:53pm
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 10:28pm
Ok.  I thought I would show this.  Sixteen years ago I was somewhat younger and was spending quite a bit of time in some of the central coast junkyards, which at that time still contained some AMCs.  The big Moss Landing Yard of PickNPull was one of my frequent haunts.  One of my neighbors worked for the yard as a tow truck driver and he knew I had Amc's including my AMX behind the fence in my back yard.  He sat high enough in the tow truck that he could clearly see over the fence.  So one day he stopped by my house and said the Moss Landing Yard had just accepted a 69 AMX, Hunter Green just like mine.  It was a 390 four speed and there was a possibility it could be be purchased if I hurried.  I don't remember what happened but the car was not able to be sold as a whole car so they put it in the rows to be parted out.  My neighbor alerted me soon after it got placed in the yard and I was one of the first pickers that got a shot at the car.  The engine and tranny and bucket seats were gone when I got there, but nearly everything else was there.  I got several loads including the driver's door both fenders, deck lid, and other parts.  Now, sixteen years later, my AMX needs the driver side glass replaced in the shoes.  I noticed however that the glass that came with my car was tinted and the rest of my car has clear glass.  I checked my stash and found this driver glass from that AMX long ago, still in the original shoes with the glue still sound.  Notice the date at the top corner. Yep, I have had that glass for about sixteen years.  Time flies.

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2017 at 5:55pm
I now have Legendary Buns (something I tried to tell my late wife for years and got laughs instead).  

The bucket seats went to the upholsterer last week.  I did not want to do them myself because upholstery and exhausts are two areas I will not get into.  The upholsterer took one look at my seats (which are in good shape but dried out) and said I should order the new buns just to be sure that the new seats have enough bulk.  The covers are leather and between the covers and these new buns, they are expensive. 

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2017 at 5:08pm
I'm working on the AMX again.  I re-glued the driver side window into a set of shoes.  The window had been off the shoes for many years.  I did review the sticky file on regluing windows here on the forum but there were some confusing aspects. For instance someone mentioned the factory "tape" to position the glass but did not give a part number rf show a picture.  Someone else said there was felt used to position the glass.  Not in my experience.  I have three AMX and Javelin windows here and the combination positioning substance and adhesive appears to be some sort of liquid rubberized material which has hardened very much over the years. What I found most helpful was a video published by West Coast Classic Cougar.  Mustangs and Cougars used the same sort of glue-in glass in 1969 so the tips there were very helpful.  I also bought the 3M adhesive and rented the applicator from them.  I will return the applicator, second photo below, for credit in a couple of days.  

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2017 at 8:30pm
I finally installed the driver door glass today and adjusted it to fit the opening with the help of the TSM.  I did actually read the directions this time. 

I am working on the carpet now.   I plan to reuse the front carpet section for now  It is not too worn but is sunfaded and I may be able to darken it with dye.  My rear carpet come out in two pieces.  I guess that is the way it was made.  Of course the replacement carpet is just one big molded piece for the rear of the car.  I much prefer the factory cut and sewn version.  In fact I may reinstall the front section of the rear carpet and just trim the aftermarket rear carpet to fit with that section.  Pictures below show my clean underlayment and jute padding.  Rust belt guys eat your hearts out.  

Above you and see the shifter hump I plan to use with my T-10.  I hope it is the correct one.  The previous owner used this as a race car with an Olds 455 and turbo 400 tranny.  Thankfully they left the clutch pedal assembly in the car.  

The  previous owner installed a plate on the right side of the hump.  I guess they needed easy access to the shift linkage in their racing days. 

Existing cut and sewn rear carpet removed in two pieces.  I may reuse the front piece along with some of the replacement molded carpet shown below. 

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2017 at 7:44pm
More trivia from today.  My car was built in December 1968.   There are date codes on the naugahyde used in the rear quarter interior panels and on the panels them selves, both dating from September.  I think the north American nauga has been rendered extinct because the hides were in such demand. Smile

69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2017 at 8:14pm
Wink Joe, you gonna drag your hyde to Wednesday's AMC Club meeting?
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 7:30am
Great car and great post, keep up the good info and work. I found a lot of similar info when I took apart my wifes 69 AMX, she's still irritated I sold that car  Angry 
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 10:38am
looking great Joe. If you are running the stock hurst shifter you have the wrong shifter hum there - that is the metal one for the 68/e69 non hurst style. You should be able to still get the correct on from Amark.
AMO Newsletter Editor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic