TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

how to properly use a manual choke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epii1027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to properly use a manual choke
    Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 1:49pm
how to properly use a manual choke and when you should use it >.< being im clueless maybe someone could answer this for me

74' 401
always under contruction
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 3:01pm
Read up on how an automatic choke works.  If you dont understand how a carburator works, no one can really explain.  you need to start learning how a car works, otherwise its just going to be frustration for you. get a 1974 TSM and study it. With a hand choke, you will also use your foot as well.

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Feb/19/2013 at 3:03pm
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 3:13pm
Each car / truck / motor and temp will be different and you will need to play with it to know what your combo likes but here goes.
If not cold so summer just pump the gas 2 or 3 times (no choke) and hold it down just a little and see if it will start & run. If it will not start pull the choke on half way and give it a try again. After it starts and is running push the choke off a little at a time till it is not needed any more.

Little colder out pull on choke half way pump gas and give it a try. As it warms up push choke off a little at a time till not needed.

Real cold pull on 3/4 way, pump and try to start. As it warms up push choke off a little at a time till not needed.

Now this just a starting point and you will need to play to see what your combo likes. I have never had to pull it on fully or if I did had to push it to half as soon as it started or it would load up (run ruff) and flood out. That is also how you tell the choke needs to be pushed off as it will load up and run ruff. IFY you should never get to the point of loading up as once it starts you can push it all most off only to  keep the high idle on till up to temp.

BTW my sons Jeep uses a man. choke and he only needs it when it gets to about 40* and then just a little bit.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Epii1027 Epii1027 wrote:

how to properly use a manual choke and when you should use it >.< being im clueless maybe someone could answer this for me
There will be a cable that has one end that attaches to the choke, and the other end with a knob that goes into the car to be mounted on or under the dash. When the engine is cold, first press on the accelerator pedal to give a squirt of gas, then you pull the knob toward you  , and that closes the choke, shutting off most of the air to the carburetor. This enables the car to start and run  when cold . There will also be a fast idle screw which will contact linkage on your carb which will enable the car to idle faster while warming up. 

After the car has warmed up, you push in the knob, which gives the carburetor more air, and causes the idle speed to return to normal, because the fast idle screw no longer contacts your linkage. An electric choke does all of this automatically by opening and closing the choke without you having to do it.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 6:26pm
Try this. When cold, Pump gas (twice if really cold out) and while the pedal is down, pull the choke all the way out and then back in a bit (so it's partially open). Let go of pedal and turn the key to start (ebrake on, in neutral if standard trans, in park if auto) Motor should crank no more than 3-5 turns maximum before lighting off (assuming in good tune). Listen to the motor. If you have a good ear for music, you can hear the "note" the engine is running at. Vacuum gauge also helps. Engine vacuum usually is low for the first 10-30 seconds of running. Then it will climb a bit and you can see the temp satrt to move (unless in the freezer zones. It'll take longer) Push the choke in a bit at a time and listen to the motor. Too much choke and it will sputter and blow black smoke (carb probs can do that too, but we're assuming it's in good condition) Push it in (opening the choke ) too soon and the motor will sputter and likely stall.
   As it warms up you push the choke in and generally by 3 minutes, you can turn it off unless it's super cold or there is a vacuum leak somewhere.
Taschenkrebs View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taschenkrebs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 1:03pm
In the older days manual chokes were common on almost any european car. I drove some of them,...
In most cases the choke is really needed in winter operation during the cold start period only.
You pull the choke completely and as soon the engine runs you push it back 1/2.
After a mile or less you push the choke completely.
Some cars had springs in the choke lever which pushed it half back if you do not pull it by hand.
If you miss to push the choke, engine will run roughly and finally end with wet spark plugs.

In some of my V8 cars I simply disconnected the choke. A little "playing" with the gas pedal
helped ok during the cold start process.

In any case better no choke than a defective automatic choke or an improperly operated manual choke.

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 10:34pm
My Jeep had a manual choke put on it sometime around 1991 because nobody knew how to properly adjust the original automatic choke that reportedly never worked right. Must have been all that crappy emission controled choke stuff. Wink heck, my car was parked for nearly a decade becuse it was almost impossible to start on cold mornings. 

First thing I did to the engine was to find the original choke parts in a box in the garage and put it all back together, properly, along with the rest of the engine control system. No complaints since even in 0 degree weather. 

Some engines are different than others.  Engines like my parent's 327 like alot of choke when cranking but want it to come off quickly, like within the first minute or two.  Other engines like my 360 don't need a whole lot of choke to start, but need the choke to stay on longer.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
ICEMAN6166 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICEMAN6166 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2013 at 8:52am
i always had manual chokes on my trucks half pull was the normal in fall when it started getting cold and cold spring mornings.
you will need as said to develop a feel and see how your engine responds
in super cold weather pulling out most of the way then after it starts  pushing in until it idles smoothly.

i will say my 64 ambo's auto choke works pretty good one pump to set it and it seems to start and idle well then a kick after a minute or 2 to idle down.
1964 Ambassador 990
1966 F250 4x4

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic