TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How to long term store iron parts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrooks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to long term store iron parts?
    Posted: Aug/23/2015 at 9:21pm
Just traded for a Wagoneer with a lot of extra parts. I have 1 head that has been machined and looks great but I don't need it now. I live in NW Al. so we have year round humidity. What can I coat metal parts with for long term storage.
64 CJ3B
66 Classic 770
77 Wagoneer 401/400
88 J20
It's not how many words you use it's how you use your words.
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2015 at 10:39pm
I have had really good results with Lanolin spray. That being said, I have done a quick search and it seems to be very much an Australian/New Zealand thing. If you can find some you will never use WD40 or CRC again!

edit: Found this, it looks the same, I have only used Lanotec but I would assume this stuff would work as well.

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Edited by Lucas660 - Aug/23/2015 at 10:53pm
Photon440 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Photon440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2015 at 11:33pm
I use that fluid-film all the time here in Canada.  It's great for spraying into crevasses and the like too, letting it creep and coat everything.
Faster is Better
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 12:12am
The US Army uses cosmoline to prevent rust even in salty conditions. Entire tanks were coated with it when shipped over seas. Have you ever heard the song" cosmoline.....keeps my rifle clean". Hate to be the one who has to clean the oily/waxy film off. Cosmoline is widely used in Cuba to preserve cars and parts.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 6:41am
WD-40 just doesn't last, I use CRC 5-56 on the machinery in my shop, but for real long life protection....I prefer Boesheild T-9, this is the best aviation has to offer....we use for long term fuselage internal protection.

http://www.theruststore.com/Boeshield-T-9-12-oz-Aerosol-P3.aspx

Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 10:47am
Not knowing how large the parts are put them in a plastic bag and throw in a few of the moister absorbent bags in there and seal it up. That is after you spray it down for extra protection.

BTW they make bags for cars too!
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
bbrooks2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrooks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 5:04pm
I have a mil. surp. container of cosmoline but I never though of using it on car parts. I will check out the other products also.
Thanks Brad
64 CJ3B
66 Classic 770
77 Wagoneer 401/400
88 J20
It's not how many words you use it's how you use your words.
Green AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 8:46pm
Chainsaw bar and chain oil and wrap in plastic 
69 AMX 390 4speed go pack
72 Javelin 360 auto(sons)
82 Spirit (wife's 1st car)still not done
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2015 at 7:43am
Eastwood has a product that works very well.
Talk humidity - come to Iowa. Cars can rust in a garage unless it's air conditioned and climate controlled.
I use Eastwoods metal prep - it was used on the roof of my car - I stripped the car to bare metal over most of the body. Winter came, things happened, I knew it was going to be a while before I got back to it so I covered it with their fast etch which leaves a protective zinc phosphate coating. I used metal wash on some areas, too. It says it's for limited time use but it kept that car's bare steel rust-free for several months.
When I got back to it I simply picked up where I left off. No rust problems.
Otherwise check the farm equipment stores - we used to have to treat our plow lays after each use or that highly polished perfectly clean bare steel would flash rust - and be very rusty by the next time you needed it, making it work badly until you got it polished up again.
I treated an antique 2 14 plow right after last use and it held up for 2 or 3 years that way.

I agree WD40 is fine - for short term use. I use it on saws and other wood-working tools I know I'll be using again in a few days or weeks, but not for anything over a period of months. It just doesn't seem to hold up.
Cosmoline and things like it - ugh, what a mess..... I've had to remove that from new flywheels, etc. Messy, took a lot of acetone - but hey, it works.

RonFrancis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2017 at 10:14am
What is best for brake drums inside?  It should be something that cleans off easily?Smile
Ron Francis
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic