TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How to ID a Twin Grip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
gunnarcove View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunnarcove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2011 at 6:33am
phast1,
where is that stamp on your rearend? is that normal to be stamped on housing like that?
thanks,

don
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2011 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by gunnarcove gunnarcove wrote:

phast1,
where is that stamp on your rearend? is that normal to be stamped on housing like that?
thanks,

don

Hi Dan,

It was near the top right of the cover, found it when i was prepping to paint the cover. I don't know if this a normal stamp or not, maybe someone with more knowledge could shed some light on this.
1972 Javelin
tumbleweed View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 9:10am
2000 RPM@ 50 mph.    anyone got an idea of the gear ratio
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 9:45pm
3.15:1
rusty71sst View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty71sst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2013 at 6:27pm
I have 2 rear ends for a javelin. one is a 73 rear with an "A" on the flat case and the other is a 71 rear with a "O" on the flat of the case. what ratio are these? I plan to use a mopar rearend or a ford 9 inch as these amc rear ends are really weak looking. Small axle tubes weak 2 part hubs and 40+ years is too much for me. Steve in Ga.
amc is the torque master!
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2014 at 6:33am
Another one slipped through the net!
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

tumbleweed View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2014 at 7:29am
what is this?
Kapptaink View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kapptaink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2014 at 8:16am
We have a SPAMER
PrevOwned:73HornetX 360/a727 Blk/Blk-69Javelin/R/R-69AMXBlk/W-69JavelinPrimer
Kirk
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2014 at 11:11am
Mchaggis, the Aussie Javelin diff should be 2.87 ratio LSD, that's all we got here as far as I know. With changing the gears, you will be fine, what nobody has mentioned is that Jeep didn't run the 2.87 gears, so their cut-off ratio is higher, something like 3.08 or 3.15 not really sure on this but the guys selling the gears usually work with Jeeps rather than AMC cars so sometimes it can be a bit misleading as to what fits.

Maybe an option for you, I got some 3.54 gears out of a Jeep axle (CJ7 I think) to put in my Aussie 69 Javelin, installed without any issues but no good if you want 3.73s. 
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2014 at 11:14am

Edit;

rookie error,

I replied to what was on the first page without noticing the date, or the other 7 pages of replies

:facepalm: Smile

So its probably been answered 10 tires already and the thread has gone in a whole different direction by now

[The twin grip pics above are all of the earlier two piece, 4 pinion "Power Lok" type, used till around 1971.

Since his is later it would be a Trak-loc one piece 2 pinion type.

IIRC, the later 1piece LSD had a more boxed out appearance, more squared off than the standard, open carrier.

To the original poster,

if you coupe get a picture with the carrier rotated a bit, so you can see the open window, it would be easier to tell.]

Edited by jpnjim - Aug/14/2014 at 11:19am
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic