TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How much power (abuse?) can a T5Z take?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imacarfan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much power (abuse?) can a T5Z take?
    Posted: Apr/13/2014 at 1:33am
I've come across a good deal for a Mustang T5Z transmission. This is the 2.95 first gear unit that is rated up to, I believe, 335 lb/ft of torque. I'm thinking about grabbing it and sticking it (no pun intended) behind a 360 into my Sportabout. The 360 has a Comp 270 cam, 1.7 HS rollers, an Air Gap, headers, etc. The rear is a 3.54 twin grip Model 20 (welded, braced, Mosers, etc.). This car will be a driver, but would be going to the track a bit, too, and would probably be running M/T drag radials at the track.

Anyone know if the T5Z will handle all this? I've been told that if you don't power shift the T5, it will hold up fine. Anyone have any real-world experience with the T5Z and a bit of power and sticky tires?
67 Ambo conv
68 AMX
68 Ambo 4 door
70 Ambo 4 door
(2) 71 Hornets (1 SC/360)
73 Hornet 2 door
77 Matador coupe
77 Sportabout
78 Concord 2 door
81 Concord wagon
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2014 at 4:45am

It is going to depend on the length of the input shaft as to what year this transmission is.  If it is a 94/95 application it will have a longer input shaft than that of a 93.  The "World Class" V8 Mustang application that is a direct bolt in is the 87 through 93.
That said, the torque rating and the 1st gear rating of a "Z" would work better with the  3.54 rear axle ratio and probably give you a good working transmission combination. Vs of course the NON -Z which if placed in the same application would give you a wide ratio 3 speed transmission with a granny low and an over drive.
A quick check on the "Z" version says that it is a heavy duty transmission with reliability up grades and better torque ratings and some up grades were used only on the 94/95 Cobra which if this transmission is one of those, it will not fit on your 360 using the standard  bell housing for that application.
If it is the shorter input shaft upgrade racing transmission used in 87 through 93 it should work and fit just fine.
I installed a "WC" T5 taken from an 87 Ford Mustang with about 110,000 miles on it some where around 1993 or so and it is still in the car and it still works well however I am using a 3.15:1 rear axle and I have not beat the pig snot out of it.
The only reliability enhancement done to it was to change the lubrication from ATF to Synthetic Motor oil, Mobil 1 15W50. A lubrication suggested to be used by the racers from the San Francisco Mustang club that were heavy into drag racing at the time.

The don't Power Shift concern it was my understanding was resolved by installing a Hurst shifter which had stronger internal rods less prone to flexing which insured the 2/3 shift would get fully into gear rather than partially thus eliminating the over loading of the third gear components due to partial engagement which lead eventually to premature failure.

Edited by uncljohn - Apr/13/2014 at 4:50am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2014 at 9:51am

Can’t say how long it will stay with you or not with drag racing but was part of my concern when I did the T5 swap into my 70 street Javelin with 360/3.54 even for the street.

That is why when I rebuilt mine I also added some hop up parts to help it stay with me if (ok when) I get a little crazy. They make 2-3 & 3-4 billet keys for the clusters, stock are stamp steel junk and can bend. Same goes for the 5th gear bearing retainer the stock stamp steel will bend and the 5th gear will not line up 100% to the other gear and you chip teeth and by by trany.

In all the hop up parts I did not see any hi po shift rods or forks. I did upgrade the plastic fork pads with billet ones. The big thing I have seen posted was to upgrade the shifter to a positive stop type. What happens is when power shifting the gears stops but not the fork, rod or shifter bending the forks. Stop the shifter and the rods & forks stop and no bent fork. It is the bent forks why the gears don’t line up not the rods bending.

BTW Scott runs one in his machine w/390 & the Mustang guys use them for drag racing.

If the price is right I would give it a try, what is the worst that can happen Wink

Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic