TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How much can I pre-load my hydraulic flat lifters?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How much can I pre-load my hydraulic flat lifters?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 4:58pm
? 0.345 inch too long pushrods is my immediate un-researched un-substantiated reaction ?...
Rockers are too high up on the Studs...  but that is just a "off the cuff" comment for discussion, ok ?
7.700 inch Long where the Pushrods I used...
BUT... 1969 Block ( 9.175 vs 9.208 nominal ) and maybe .045 inch milled heads,
but those 2 things only account for .080 difference in pushrod length...
aftermarket Elgin Camshaft and Hydraulic Lifters...
On-hand Perf American Style Book has these stock AMC Pushrod length values, not gospel...
7.767 inch long +/- 1968-69 ( 9.175" Block Deck Nominal )
7.800 inch long +/- 1970-71 ( 9.208 Block Deck Nominal ) individual rocker stud heads
7.820 inch long +/- 1972

Maybe get a pair of adjustable pushrods to do a little "investigating" ?

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Aug/22/2019 at 5:00pm
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 6:16pm
And to muddy the water even further...
Here's something from 1969 that I only recently came across:

( quote)
( per 1969 Hurst Performance Research Mechanical Engineer Bob Tarozzi )
( and Car Craft and Vic Edelbrock building a Clone S/S AMC 390 )

"... the ( stock rocker ) stud boss ( on 1969 AMC Cylinder Heads )
 has to be machined down 3/16" to keep
 the bottom of the ( roller ) rockers from hitting."

( end quote )

The Point being to keep the Roller Rockers LOW on the Stud...
-----

On the topic of AMC's and Roller Rockers,
found this 1969 Cra Craft article interesting
because amoung other things they mention milling
the 1969 Head Rocker Stud Bosses down by 3/16" ?
and I wondered why ?  They make NO MENTION of Pushrod Guideplates,
and understanding is NO GUIDE PLATES are needed with the '69 heads,
and they DO MENTION that Stock Stamped Rockers Arms
and Stock Stepped Rocker Studs somehow align the Stock Rockers ?
Huh ?

? Maybe they were saying the Stock Stamped Rockers could "Rotate"
some amount towards the front and rear of the engine direction,
"Crossways" I guess ?...,
if the stock rockers were higher up on the stock studs and
up above the larger diamter lower portion of the stock studs ?

Whereas, Trunion Pivot Roller Rocker Arms can NOT...
-----

Excerpt from PART 3 of 4 - VIVA AMX ! - OCT 1969 - CAR CRAFT

Car Craft builds a clone '69 Hurst S/S AMX car with help from Edelbrock

( quote)
Once we pulled the valve covers the problem was quite apparent, even if the solution wasn't.
On the two cylinders in question, the exhaust rocker arms had parted company 
with the pushrods, and the #8 rocker stud had sheared itself off.  For those of you 
who are not familiar with the AM engine, the rocker arm mechanism is similar to the 
Chevy V8; a stamped steel rocker arm pivoting on a stud and ball arrangement.  The AM 
stud, in stock form, was designed to be used with a hydraulic lifter camshaft.  The 
lower portion of the stud has a shoulder that locates the ball, which determines the 
height of the rocker arm, and proper preload on the hydraulic lifter.  In our case, 
we were using a solid lifter cam, with a smaller diameter base circle and different 
length pushrods.  The slot in the bottom of the rocker arm is slightly wider than the 
major diameter of the stud, ( i.e. that portion below the shoulder ) which aligns the 
rocker arm laterally.  With the solid lifter cam the ball registered itself above the 
shoulder, with a resulting loss of lateral support for the rocker.  The only solution 
was to use a different type of rocker arm and stud arrangement.  We couldn't use 
Chevrolet or small block Ford rockers, as these engines have a 1.5:1 rocker arm 
ratio; AM engines have a 1.6:1 ratio.

-> At this point we called Hurst Performance Research for a possible answer to our 
problem.  Bob Tarozzi had been the chief trouble shooter for Hurst when they built 
the original 52 Super Stockers for the factory, and was quite aware of this 
malfunction.  His solution, and ours, came from Crane Engineering in Hallendale, 
Florida.  They had designed a special set of aluminum rocker arms supported by 
individual needle bearing shafts, with the required 1.6:1 ratio.  A special rocker 
stud, also designed by Crane, has to be used in conjunction with the aluminum rocker 
arms.  Because they are made from aluminum, the Crane rockers have a much beefier 
cross section than the stockers, and the stud boss has to be machined down 3/16" 
to keep the bottom of the rockers from hitting.  Crane can supply a cutter to do this, 
or the head can be set up in a mill.
( end quote )

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Aug/22/2019 at 6:26pm
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 7:33pm
I have never used 8.125 pushrods that I can remember.  Most of my builds with rollers end up in the 7.900 range with iron heads on early blocks and up to 8.00 on late blocks depending on cam and base circle.  I had one block NOS tall deck with aluminum heads that took 8.100 to get correct.  I think that one had .100 taller valves though.  I really think you should run your half lift geometry again.  Your pushrods are way too long.  It also sounds as though your machinist owes you a regrind to the next under and a set of bearings.  Have them use the correct specs for the AMC engines.

Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

rang-a-stang View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2019 at 2:36pm
Welp. Sounds like I may be buying some new pushrods. Even if the problem is low oil pressure, I should have the correct pushrods in there, too. I know no one has said "Rang-a-Stang, you have the wrong length pushrods and need to replace them" but logic dictates, most probably, i have the wrong length pushrods and that will need to be corrected. I really appreciate all the information/time you guys are giving me. 

I measured with a home made adjustable pushrod and a venier caliper. This is the process I used:
This is the only time I have ever done this, so no doubt that I screwed it up. 

When I was reading about measuring for proper geometry, I read a lot of good stuff about the comp cams pushrod measuring tools:
Any advice here? this is a good one? Sucks? 

Also, when I measured the first time, the intake was off. Can I get an accurate measurement with the intake on? I really don't want to pull the intake to put a solid lifter in... 
-My thoughts: mark valve tip, install tool at 7.900, install the rocker with .030 pre-load, set the valve cover on the top, crank it for a few seconds to establish oil pressure, remove the valve cover/rocker, check the mark, adjust the tool, repeat until mark centered. I assume I can measure intake on cyl 1, then verify it's the same at Exhaust on cyl 1, and go order pushrods, right (in other words, I don't need to do all 16 valves)? 

I have not touched my rig this week and probably won't for about another week. I am also fighting some other un-related issues. 

Edit: Just finished reading your second post this page, PHAT69AMX. I thought the HS rockers took this need to sit lower sitting into account and was why they had that nice big chamfer at the bottom you asked about. My stud bosses were not machined at all; I just unscrewed the stock/shouldered/non-adjustable studs, and loctite'ed/screwed in the ARPs. When I open my valve covers, I will take LOTS of pictures and post them up. 

Edited by rang-a-stang - Aug/23/2019 at 3:16pm
79 Cherokee, 401
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2019 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

...It also sounds as though your machinist owes you a regrind to the next under and a set of bearings.  Have them use the correct specs for the AMC engines.

I am heading toward that as well. I will be calling him next week to discuss. 
79 Cherokee, 401
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2019 at 4:49pm
Agree, the chamfer on the HS Rockers should take care of the bottom clearance.
No intention to suggest your Stud bosses need milled down.
Just I stumbled across that 1969 article lately where it is mentioned and had not heard that before.
Was more of a "reinforcement" to the logic to keep rockers low on the stud.

Also Different brand rocker studs have different contours at the Hex, and
imho the ARP Studs you have are some of the better ones, I used the same as you have
and I did -NOT- machine my single stud AMC Cyl Head Stud bosses down either.

Agree with the video, at half lift, 90 degrees between valve stem and Rocker "centerline"...
-BUT-, and -NOT- that I know...  one thing I thought different than in that video,
the imaginary "centerline" used is from the Trunion Center to the VALVE TIP / Rocker Tip Roller CONTACT PATCH
-NOT- to the Rocker Tip Roller CENTERLINE...  or at least that is what I "thought", not that I know.
-BUT- that difference right there WOULD result in a shorter required Pushrod, would it not ?

What might be the dimension from the Rocker Tip Roller centerline to the FACE of the Tip Roller ?
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2019 at 6:25pm
Another question about that video...
A .355 inch change on the Pushrod Side does -NOT- equal a .355 inch change on the Valve Side, does it ?
The Rocker has a 1.6 Ratio, right ?... so .355" (* 1.6) on the Pushrod side is .568" on the valve side ? and
a .355" (*1/1.6) change on the valve side is only a .2218" change on the Pushrod Side ?...
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2019 at 1:05am
rang-a-stang - if ya can, get and post a picture strait on as possible from the end like this drawing
of your current Rocker and Pushrod in place, valve closed, with about .030" Lifter Preload
so we can see what the existing Geometry looks like with what you already have...

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2019 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

rang-a-stang - if ya can, get and post a picture strait on as possible from the end like this drawing
of your current Rocker and Pushrod in place, valve closed, with about .030" Lifter Preload
so we can see what the existing Geometry looks like with what you already have...

WilCO. Will probably be sometime during the week of 8 Sept. Going on a road trip this weekend (not in my 401). Wife would be really upset if I wrench this week because if I pull the jeep in the garage, her car goes in the driveway. It's warm this time of year and she is not a fan of getting in her dark grey pathfinder after it's been sitting in the sun all day. Wacko
79 Cherokee, 401
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2019 at 9:02pm
Finally got to this. I ordered a Comp Cams 7703-3 adjustable push rod. It measures from 7.800-8.800". I tried my best to get a straight on pic but this is the best I could get:

Next up, I removed #2 spark plug and both rockers and pushrods and inspected them and the stud. I didn't see any abnormal wear or areas rubbing of rubbing. I see a tiny bit of what I would consider normal wear on the push rods where they go through head. 

Set my tools for 7.800 and measured twice. Is it just me or does even 7.800 even look a smidge long? 

The wear on #2's exhaust valve looks odd, too. What do you guys think of this pattern? Should I worry about it?

Should I order a tool that can do shorter push rods? Should I order 7.800?
Oooh, And I specifically watched for oil on all 8 passenger side rockers as I cranked it over and #8 was oozing oil first but not by much. Was just glad to see them all oozing oil as it cranked over. 

Edited by rang-a-stang - Sep/17/2019 at 9:04pm
79 Cherokee, 401
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic