TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How much can I pre-load my hydraulic flat lifters?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How much can I pre-load my hydraulic flat lifters?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much can I pre-load my hydraulic flat lifters?
    Posted: Jun/18/2019 at 5:48pm
I have a few hours of run time on my 401. It's running a Comp Cams 268H cam (mild street cam), Comp Cams hydraulic flat tappets, Comp Cams push rods, and Harland Sharp 1.6's. I have iron heads with Comp Cams springs, retainers, and stainless valves. I have adjusted the rockers twice to 1/2 turn but I am still getting some valve train noise when at operating temp only. (oil pressure is at 10psi at 600RPM hot, idle)

Comp Cams recommends 1/4-3/4 turns of preload for a street engine with this equipment so the 1/2 turn seems logical. Would any of you recommend against me pushing it a bit to 2/3's or 3/4s turn? Should I assume I have other problems? 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2019 at 5:57pm
If you have preload then you don't have lash so setting them tighter shouldn't make things more quiet - because you don't have the clatter of lash anyway. 
It is said that some synthetic oils can make valve trains a bit more noisy - not that is protects less, it's a noise transmission thing. 
A non-stock cam can often make a bit more sound anyway - my 4.0 with Comp cam and Harland Sharp rockers sounds like a truck engine - the ramps are more radical, I assume it's because they assume you don't care about a whisper quiet engine? 

Is it so noisy you think you have a problem? Could it be you are hearing normal noise with that setup?
rang-a-stang View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2019 at 6:13pm
Having internet issues. I just posted this then my internet died so I apologize if this is a duplicate. 
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

...Is it so noisy you think you have a problem? Could it be you are hearing normal noise with that setup?
Copy. I am running Castrol GTX 10W40 with about 45 minutes of run time on it. 

It might be normal? Honestly, this is my first full engine build and first set of roller rockers. I didn't hear my valve train before the rebuild (stock everything) and don't hear it when it's cold now so I assumed I shouldn't hear it when it's at normal temp? 

I can't hear it when I am driving my Jeep, but when I get out, I can hear it outside my Jeep with the hood down. Pop the hood and I can hear it. It's not obnoxious but I can hear it. I wouldn't say it sounds like a truck but it's distinct. 
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2019 at 8:34pm
Are you sure you are not just hearing a exhaust leak?

Header flange leaks can and do sound like valve clatter.
Gremlin Dreams
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 2:41am
I have heard a lot of complaints from other shops about noisy Comp Cams lifters. 

They will not use Comp hydraulic roller lifters anymore. Not sure if the flat and roller lifters have use the same internals but it may be the lifters. 

I always use Johnson Hylift lifters with no problems. 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 7:08am
Full disclosure, I am the guy that always run zero lash.  I have done so for 50 years, but am now considered a pariah because I risk hammering out the clips and clearly don't understand that there is no such thing as lifter pump up.  
Leave it alone.
If I am worried about noise I run 1/8 turn just so it doesn't clatter when cold but 1/2 turn is plenty of preload.
PacerLarry View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PacerLarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 11:44am
For what it's worth, I have a 360, same cam, same rockers, and I'm assuming the same springs, lifters, and retainers (everything recommended by Comp as a package). I heard the same thing you are experiencing. It wasn't very load, just a little rattlin and tappin at idle if you had your head under the hood. Always used 10-40 oil. I ran both 1/2 and 3/4 turn and it made no difference. I raced the engine for 3 years without issue, and when the motor was taken apart I saw no signs of wear, damage, or concern. 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

Are you sure you are not just hearing a exhaust leak?
Header flange leaks can and do sound like valve clatter.

Yeah, it's definitely  in the valve train. I used to have a TON of header leaks so I bought Remflex gaskets and have torqued them 3 times (though the second 2 times, they didn't really need it). Doesn't really sound like exhuast leak, it more sharp sounding (if that makes sense). 
Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

I have heard a lot of complaints from other shops about noisy Comp Cams lifters. 
They will not use Comp hydraulic roller lifters anymore. Not sure if the flat and roller lifters have use the same internals but it may be the lifters. 
I always use Johnson Hylift lifters with no problems. 
OK, copy that. Good to know. If I ever pull my intake again, maybe I'll swap them out for some Johnson Hylift. New lifters old cam=ok, new cam old lifter=no muy bien, right? 
Originally posted by BassBoat BassBoat wrote:

Full disclosure, I am the guy that always run zero lash.  I have done so for 50 years, but am now considered a pariah because I risk hammering out the clips and clearly don't understand that there is no such thing as lifter pump up.  
Leave it alone.
If I am worried about noise I run 1/8 turn just so it doesn't clatter when cold but 1/2 turn is plenty of preload.
Hahaha! Copy that! Sounds like the consensus is "Don't mess with it". Old addage: if it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid. sounds like zero lash isn't stupid in your engines! 
Originally posted by PacerLarry PacerLarry wrote:

For what it's worth, I have a 360, same cam, same rockers, and I'm assuming the same springs, lifters, and retainers (everything recommended by Comp as a package). I heard the same thing you are experiencing. It wasn't very load, just a little rattlin and tappin at idle if you had your head under the hood. Always used 10-40 oil. I ran both 1/2 and 3/4 turn and it made no difference. I raced the engine for 3 years without issue, and when the motor was taken apart I saw no signs of wear, damage, or concern. 
EXACTLY what I am hearing. We probably bought the same part number. Also had a timing set in it, too. Your post is what I was hoping (but not expecting) to get. 

I appreciate you all chiming in. I will let it ride! 
79 Cherokee, 401
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2019 at 3:15pm
Are you using the stock rocker arm studs ?

The rocker arms will bottom out on the stock stud and not allow the correct pre-load. If that is the case either replace the stock studs or chuck them up in a lathe and cut them back.

For me flat tappet hydraulic cams get a 1/4 turn of preload.
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2019 at 4:16pm
Good thought, but no. I am running ARP 7/16" studs. ARP Part number is 100-7101. Maybe I try and back off to a 1/4 turn?
79 Cherokee, 401
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic