TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How much Abuse can a model 20 w/ 2 piece axle take
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How much Abuse can a model 20 w/ 2 piece axle take

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much Abuse can a model 20 w/ 2 piece axle take
    Posted: Feb/08/2016 at 9:19pm
I am looking at attempting to change an outer axle seal.. After some extensive googling I have heard mostly from the Jeep types that once you separate the axle from the hub, if you are lucky enough to get it back together correctly It may not hold hold up very long.     Any truth to this?     My first trip to the track on a fairly fresh 401, I ended up cracking and breaking the spring perches.  I would atleast like to fix the leak and get a few more runs in before I decide to sell it... 

Thanks

Bob

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 6:37am
No truth at all. For one, that key in the axle/hub is so it aligns the same as it came off, it's not for strength. You do need to do one at a time or mark them so you get the hub back on the axle it came off of. When first installed the hub has no splines inside -- it's smooth until installed on the axle, which is harder and forms the mating splines in the hub when torqued down. Mix the hubs and the splines may not match, and they are fine -- not enough room to form new splines strong enough to hold if you drive hard.

Torquing the axle nut is the second part of the equation. That nut needs to be torqued to 250 ft/lbs. Not many have a wrench they can do that with. If you just put the hub back on and tighten as much as you can, it may not be enough. In that case you will eventually spin the hub. How soon depends on the type of driving you do and just how close to 250 ft/lbs you are. Cruising around? Might never spin. Four wheeling? Will probably spin it on the first outing -- same with drag racing. It's okay to go up to about 300 ft/lbs, but I wouldn't go any more than that. There is also a "stick out" measurement for the end of the axle. That may require torquing a little more to get the hub back enough. If that happens you should torque down to the stick-out measurement then loosen the nut and torque back to 250-300 ft/lbs and check the measurement again, leave it if at the measurement.

If you broke spring perches and the axles held I think your hubs are fine now! Of course if the springs u-bolts were a little loose that would contribute to breaking the perches...
Frank Swygert
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 7:39am
Unless you have the right puller that can be hammered on you will never get the hub off..
btw I've sheared the key on a hub with a 232
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
bob401 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 8:44am
The good news is i have access to a 50 ton press..Ideally here I am looking for a quick fix of a leak. Does anything usually get destroyed when separating the two? I am going to have to find a 300 ft lb torque wrench.. We do have some 250 around the shop but atleast in the aircraft world we wouldnt ever max out the torque values and no one is going to let me take home their wrench anyway. I know i wouldnt lend one of mine out either.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 9:28am
Unless you bend the wheel flange the press should work fine. Maybe look for a multiplier for your torque wrench?
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 10:01am
Couple of things. I think that 4 wheeling with big diameter knobbies is going to break things pretty quick, but a street car is little or no issue. First of all, re-read Farna's post. There is a procedure for installing new hubs to cut the splines correctly, and then there is torquing down to 250. Check the TSM and follow it and you should be ok. This is in a street car with reasonable tires. 

I had someone incorrectly install a new set of hubs for me years ago. They did not follow SOP to cut the splines. It lasted for about 4 years/6000 miles behind a mild 390 and 4 speed with a detroit locker and 4.10 gears. I had it at the track yearly as well, doing low 14's to mid 13's. It finally did spin them out, but again, it took years of fairly spirited driving. 

Since then I have installed a set of used two piece axles, previously disassembled but kept as a matched set. There has been no issues in the 4 years and several trips to the track since. 

I highly doubt that AMC was putting out a differential that lost a wheel on every shift in a regular street car! 

Chris 
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 12:06pm
I used a 40 ton press to push the hubs off a set. Gauge showed over 20 ton before they let loose. Left the nut on loose with a piece of rubber between the nut and hub so it didn't hammer and a heavy rubber pad on the floor to keep from getting damaged if it dropped out of the press. Wear ear plugs and other safety protection.

There was some rust and pitting of the splines. Expect it will never mate 100% like when first assembled from new, so may be wise to use Loctite Quick-Metal or a similar gap filling retaining compound ... but if plan is drag racing and you bent the perches first time out, you're taking your chances.

Hope this helps, RD.
bob401 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 5:59pm
Great info.. Thanks
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

Unless you have the right puller that can be hammered on you will never get the hub off..
btw I've sheared the key on a hub with a 232
I got you beat i sheared one with my 62 american and that could`t do a burnout on marbles...lol
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2016 at 7:26pm
you need to press it back on, the nut alone will not press it on tight enough. If you are going to abuse it. 
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic