TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How long will a carter super pump last?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long will a carter super pump last?
    Posted: Sep/04/2007 at 1:35pm
I have had the same carter super mechanical pump on my 343 for about 8 years, granted we are only talking about maybe 6000,-7,000 miles of actual driving but most of that was also with a gas tank that had some debris in it.  I did my tank over this summer and it was squeeky clean when I put 5 gallons of 91 octane in it this weekend to run the 343.  What I neglected to do was flush the main fuel line that had old gas and bits of debris that had been sitting in there for a couple years, when we ran the 343 one of the needles stuck in the carburator and fuel was dripping into the intake, we could still break in the cam since we were running at higher RPMS and this didnt affect that,  but it loaded up at idle and had to increase RPM;s to keep it running.

I Removed the carb yesterday to look at the seats and there were little specs of black stuff(maybe from cutting the hose to install fuel filter-or from debris in the main fuel line or both. But rubbing the dine debris between my fingers would smear it-so it was like gummed up old fuel or something,  It was in the fuel bowls too.  very very small particles.  I cleaned out the carb passages and removed and cleaned the needle and seats,  with high pressure carb cleaner reinstalled it and bolted it back up.  I removed the fitting from the main fuel line to pump and siphoned out some fuel into a clear container.  Filled about 3 32 ounce containers. First one had some very small particles and not that much,  2nd hardly any and 3rd seemed to be completely clear so I think the main line is pretty well flushed now.

I am wondering If I should remove the fuel pump now and clean it out too??  If so...... I might as well just get a fresh super pump, I did inspect it before I put it on the rebuilt 343 and the diaphram was good, but now I am thinking there may be particles lodged in the pump??? Can I get away with leaving it on there and letting the filter catch whatever is left over as its flushed by the pump  or should I just get a new one??
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2007 at 1:39pm
Probably more caused by the line than the pump.
What are you running for a filter that everything got past it?
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2007 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Probably more caused by the line than the pump.
What are you running for a filter that everything got past it?

I have a 3/8" clear plastic inline filter with paper element right before the carb inlet. The tank has a big sock type filter on the pick up line from a corvette application. I am sure none of this is from the tank itself it was flushed several times after it was welded nothing was in there.

I think what contributed the needle and seat issue was,  after I installed a 3/8's braided steel line kit from the pump to carb I realised that I forgot to install a filter. So out came the dremel and I just cut the braided line right there and installed a filter and the fine particulate that got into the hose sections before after the filter- got to the carb, but there was stuff in the main line too, I cranked the engine around once and it started for a second with the outlet line from the pump draining into a clear container shut it off  and there was the same debris in that container and it was brownish looking fuel.ect
After I had drained the main line manually it ran clear. So what I may have to do temporarily is install a filter between the pump and the main line where it comes out of the frame rail, a new clear inline pump and the small sintered bronze filter that installs inside the carburator fitting since I wasnt running one. Just dont know if I should keep using this fuel pump or if it will clean istelf out? The engine sounded like a beast revving up though!!
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2007 at 2:03pm
I would think the fuel pump is ok. Instead of the small plastic filter and bronze, do you have room for a little larger can with 3/8" inlet/outlet?
check into a fuel filter for a Jeep Cherokee ( 87~92 vintage).
They're a much lower micron pass than carb filter so injectors won't plug.
This is from WIX.

Part Number: 33486
UPC Number: 765809334861
Principal Application: AMC Alliance, Encore (83-87), Jeep (87-96)

All Applications
Style: Fuel (Complete In-Line) Filter
Service: Fuel
Height: 6.000
Outer Diameter Top: 2.894
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Nominal Micron Rating: 20

Edited by poormansMACHINE - Sep/04/2007 at 2:07pm
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2007 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

I would think the fuel pump is ok. Instead of the small plastic filter and bronze, do you have room for a little larger can with 3/8" inlet/outlet?
check into a fuel filter for a Jeep Cherokee ( 87~92 vintage).
They're a much lower micron pass than carb filter so injectors won't plug.
This is from WIX.

Part Number: 33486
UPC Number: 765809334861
Principal Application: AMC Alliance, Encore (83-87), Jeep (87-96)

All Applications
Style: Fuel (Complete In-Line) Filter
Service: Fuel
Height: 6.000
Outer Diameter Top: 2.894
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Nominal Micron Rating: 20

Thanks PMM!! I'll look into that filter, thanks for the quick responses!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic