TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How do I get from A to B?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by tom999q tom999q wrote:

It looks like a small coffee can with wires on the end of it. 

Ok, you have electric wipers. Donno why the hard line is in view along the driver side just above the head, it looks a lot like a vacuum line for wipers.

Here is an image... of how the solinoid fits on the coil bracket.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Here is the pictture of the fuel filter inlet pipe, shown with the csrb upside down, which seems to be missing on your carb.

Dude - is that the same year? My brothers had the filter screwed directly into the carb -a Ford type filter. And I have a couple carbs from AMC with the filter screwed into the carb..... 

In any case, buy a metal filter. Those plastic ones are trouble. 

tom999q View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 2:07pm
The small metal filter is inside that nut on the carb, isn't it? 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Here is the pictture of the fuel filter inlet pipe, shown with the csrb upside down, which seems to be missing on your carb.

Dude - is that the same year? My brothers had the filter screwed directly into the carb -a Ford type filter. And I have a couple carbs from AMC with the filter screwed into the carb..... 

In any case, buy a metal filter. Those plastic ones are trouble. 

Billd, 71 to 74 used this type of arrangement for 2bbl engines on Javelins. Yes we are on the same page mostly... though he is got me going on many others, and I am realing. Amazing that i have kept mostly straight in keeping facts proper.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
tom999q View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 2:11pm
That looks like the same setup that's missing on my 1971 carb, same connector, same routing...
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by tom999q tom999q wrote:

The small metal filter is inside that nut on the carb, isn't it? 

I believe so... never took a 2bbl apart. Though many of the Motorcrafts have a wee screen filter at the inlet. I was mostly trying to properly show the inlet line in how it alines. It points directly to the fender, which the fuel line end from the pump when properly installed with point directly to the inlet pipe. Tye filter will fit right in line with the two 1.5" fuel hose segments when mounting.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 2:14pm
Dude I looked at the 2100s on my shelf - two of them have the pipe to flare fitting then a line, two have a filter screwed directly in...... and over the years I have lost track of what they came from!
In any case he needs that metal line if he's to use a two-nipple filter like you show. 
Did you get that carb off a car that had been rolled - is that why it's up-side-down?
You do know the gas runs out that way, right?!?
tom999q View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 2:16pm
Oh, ok, got it. Then my fuel pump line must have been custom fabbed when they put the Torker intake and four barrel carb on back in the 1970's. I'll have to throw out that fuel pump line and have a new one bent at the auto parts store that lines up with the one coming out of the carb in the picture above.

Edited by tom999q - May/18/2019 at 2:21pm
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 2:21pm
I was selling it to a member and removed it to post the images. Have 4 or 5 pictures stored here, just was easier to show it upside down at the time.

Before removal, it ran well, just needed a good cleaning and rebuild from sitting so many years.

Outside of the dirt and grime, it was fairly clean inside, the buyer ended up doing the cleaning and rebuilding himself, to put on his daughters I6 to replace the smaller 2bbl.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 2:26pm
I was selling it to a member and removed it to post the images. Have 4 or 5 pictures stored here, just was easier to show it upside down at the time.

Before removal, it ran well, just needed a good cleaning and rebuild from sitting so many years.

Outside of the dirt and grime, it was fairly clean inside, the buyer ended up doing the cleaning and rebuilding himself, to put on his daughters I6 to replace the smaller 2bbl.

Billd, should I state its one of the first 2100 series updraft carb used in the aero Javelin back in the 70s? Or better yet anti vapor look version... though techs had problems when carb was not hot.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic