TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do I check the fluid in a T-15 3 speed trans?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How do I check the fluid in a T-15 3 speed trans?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I check the fluid in a T-15 3 speed trans?
    Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 5:54pm
How do I check the fluid in a T-15 3 speed trans? Is there a dipstick somewhere or do I need to screw out a fill plug and stick my finger in there? Thumbs Up
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 6:17pm
There's a fill plug about half way up the right side.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

There's a fill plug about half way up the right side.
x2.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 8:23pm
And who doesn't enjoy sticking their finger in a tight, greasy hole?
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
tom999q View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 10:08pm
Ok thanks, So the transmission fluid should be up to that hole, got it. Is that the only plug on the right side? I don't want to take the wrong plug out. My Jaguar has the same type of setup except there is also a similar plug that if you unscrew it, it drops linkage down into the transmission and then you have no reverse. I just want to make sure something like that doesn't happen. Thanks.

Edited by tom999q - Apr/17/2019 at 11:18pm
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 11:15pm
there should be 2 plugs. One on the bottom, then the one about in the middle. Bottom one is drain, upper one fills it
tom999q View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 11:20pm
Oh, ok, got it. How often should it be replaced? What type of trans fluid is to be used? How many quarts does it hold?
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by tom999q tom999q wrote:

Oh, ok, got it. How often should it be replaced? What type of trans fluid is to be used? How many quarts does it hold?

you really ought to invest in a factory service manual. they're fantastically useful.

manual transmissions don't need regular fluid changes. if you just bought the car and it's not shifting perfectly, you might consider draining the oil to see if there's metal in it, then refilling it (with new oil) but that's frosting plus cherry on top excess.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2019 at 2:42pm
I use regular Walmart 80/90 gear oil. If the history is unknown to you, it could have condensation or other contaminates in it and it would benefit from a drain and refill. The cost is minimal and it is a good preventive measure. Whenever I get an old car with unknown history I change every fluid I can reasonably change.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2019 at 4:18pm
on all my new used car I do all fluid changes so I know were it stands with me good idea
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic