TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Horsepower limits of a Service Block?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by shootist shootist wrote:

Well since the service block is ultimately a small bore 390/401 block (to my knowledge, correct me if that is wrong) I know 800-900 is easily doable in the stock setup without even going 4 bolt mains because I have done it and a few AMC friends of mine have done it. Now if you go 4-bolt then I would say 1,000 would be easily reachable without hurting the block. What I have seen on the otherhand in 401 bore blocks and I find to be the most likely weakness is the thin cylinder walls. Out of all the block damage to the heavy webbed blocks (for which I have seen) I find blown out cylinder walls the most common. I believe this has a lot do do with mold shift causing some thinner areas but that is just an educated guess. The other types of damage I have seen have been such a mangled mess it is hard to determine what exactly happened because cranks and rods flopping loose in the crankcase at high RPM tends to destroy stuff pretty well.

Anyway, I wouldn't be at all concerned with block failure at or under 1,000 HP with reasonable levels of prep which you mentioned doing. I am putting 14lbs of boost on my 401 now with a ProCharger and there are a few others out there doing the same.

great reply,
thanks!

Makes me wonder how many of the 401's with failed walls were bored +.045, +.060, or more (?).
I also wonder how much strength a std, or .010-.020 over 401 gives up compared to a Service block with 4.125 or less of a bore(?)

It's a shame that some of the others sawed themselves in half before they could tell what went wrong,
but if it was like a 302 Ford splitting in half,
or a Buick 455 spitting out the mains I think it would be obvious.

Thanks for the info,
The strength of running a Service Block seems to be worth the cubes given up, and the slightly less flow/more valve shrouding of the smaller bore.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 3:48pm
I believe I read Pentske sleeved some race engines right from the start.  
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 5:06pm
I find it hard to believe that 800HP is the limit...Harmonic`s can be an issue...i never realized how much a crank flexes untill it was showed to me on a dyno with a strobe light...Several years back we were sent 3 engines to be dyno`d ...At the customers request we were asked to push all 3 to failure (Through Boost) then they could be gone trough for future improvements ...This was done on a chassis dyno...his goal was a reliable 1,200hp to the wheels out of a 3.5l Mitsubishi V6...The money spent was mind blowing 
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 5:41pm

I know 800-900 is easily doable in the stock setup without even going 4 bolt mains because I have done it and a few AMC friends of mine have done it.

I don't agree with that. I would bet the farm your walking the cap with 2 bolt mains at 8-900 hp.
Pull it down and you will see how shiny the mating surface is on the caps and block.
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 9:41pm
An article on crankshafts:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/crankshafts-how-to/
Notice picture #3 in the article and the material of the "stronger" crankshaft that has been removed.
Big "IF" someone spent the money or could order a billet crankshaft with much less mass then the current crankshafts available then I believe 1000 + HP could reliably be made. All the other pieces are there - just the missing link, my opinion. 
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 4:48am
Originally posted by Lyle Lyle wrote:

An article on crankshafts:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/crankshafts-how-to/
Notice picture #3 in the article and the material of the "stronger" crankshaft that has been removed.
Big "IF" someone spent the money or could order a billet crankshaft with much less mass then the current crankshafts available then I believe 1000 + HP could reliably be made. All the other pieces are there - just the missing link, my opinion. 

thanks Lyle,
do you mean this picture?

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 4:49am
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

I know 800-900 is easily doable in the stock setup without even going 4 bolt mains because I have done it and a few AMC friends of mine have done it.

I don't agree with that. I would bet the farm your walking the cap with 2 bolt mains at 8-900 hp.
Pull it down and you will see how shiny the mating surface is on the caps and block.

Interesting,
did you go to 4 bolt caps at that point and did the caps stop walking?
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 4:55am
If you want to be safe? I wouldn't recommend 2 bolt mains at anything over high 600's
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 5:17am
My experience has shown me that 2 bolt caps showed signs of cap walk @ 700hp..
That was an iron headed 420 that ran 145.11 mph 1/4 mile @ 2950#

My advice would be to make the investment in 4 bolt caps...

The guys running 900 hp 2 bolt mains..what do they run and how long have they been together?

SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 6:14am
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

My experience has shown me that 2 bolt caps showed signs of cap walk @ 700hp..
That was an iron headed 420 that ran 145.11 mph 1/4 mile @ 2950#

My advice would be to make the investment in 4 bolt caps...

The guys running 900 hp 2 bolt mains..what do they run and how long have they been together?

I would agree. I myself would be leery too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic