TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Horsepower guesses?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2014 at 10:31am
Way too cool this should be interesting...

Reminds me of high school....when one motor goes down just put another motor in that is laying around....
JTSLLC1
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2014 at 1:53pm
Are you guys bypassing the rear water crossover?
I seem to remember in the late 70's some drag racers
added water circulation to the heater water port (s) in the rear of the engine.
Sorry, I can not recall whom or the conversation except
it had to do with hot spots at extreme compression and detonation issues
in #8.
Gremlin Dreams
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2014 at 8:51pm
Well I took a leap of faith and decided to drive it to the Metro Cruise as the test drive.  3 hours of stop and go traffic and not a single issue!  It's lean at cruise and WAY rich under throttle but somehow still managed to spool and build boost.  Runs out of steam at like 4500 rpm though.  It's making a strange noise that we believe to be the timing chain rubbing but no worries.  Someone on the bullet came up with the greatest idea of adding a dry shot of nitrous to lean it out under boost.  Brilliant!  Might do that and see what happens.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
kwkslvr73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkslvr73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2014 at 10:20pm
Great to see ya go by at the Metro Cruise Greg.....good luck with the build!
360 5-speed orig owner...
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2014 at 4:21pm
I just barely caught you as I went past.  Wish I would've had time to stop and talk.  I was running WAY behind schedule, they weren't that far from shutting down the street.  Were you in the area where the dummy shot at people?
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
kwkslvr73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkslvr73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2014 at 6:22pm
didn't hear a thing about that! left about 10pm. went up division st. to miss all the traffic!

360 5-speed orig owner...
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2014 at 8:44pm
Nice beer can :)
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2014 at 9:43pm
Well after a couple weeks of beating the snot out of this thing at 8 psi I'm turning it up tomorrow for some racing.  1/8 mile unprepped airport runway.  I will find the limits of the stock 360.  Updates to follow.
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2014 at 5:45pm
How did it do?
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2014 at 9:31pm
Well, the AMS 1000 boost controller didn't work at the track and I forgot to bring the manual boost controller so I was only able to run at 8 psi.  It ran a bunch of 8.8 @ 80 passes (1/8 mile), not all that impressive.  That's only like a high 13 in the 1/4.  It launched alright after I got it spooled but then just needed more boost to keep it going.  Will remedy that situation and give it another go.

Video from one of the passes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic