TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hornet interior for a tall guy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRipx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hornet interior for a tall guy
    Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 6:06pm
Hi everyone,

I'm set on joining the AMC family, and I'm obsessed with getting my hands on a Hornet (73-75).

But whenever I'm looking for a car I've never sat in, I have the same concern...

I'm 6'8"

I've owned a 79, 75 and 85 Pontiac Trans Am, Leg room is good on the 79 and 75 but head room wasn't great (but workable), opposite problem with the 85. This gives you an example of what I CAN fit in.

So Hornet owners, will I fit?

Thank you in advance.

Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 6:25pm
Nope.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 6:44pm

Edited by 71SC360 - Apr/24/2018 at 6:57am
knightflight View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 5:57pm
Well, I am not 6'8", but I am 6'3"...

I have a number of classic cars that I drive. All of them require me to put the seat all the way back, Some I wish I had more track to push back on.
I own a 1974 Hornet-X hatchback. (beautiful car I might add, and original paint!) It is the only car I have that I put the seat one notch up from the extreme. My wife thinks it's funny I always drive that car. I tell her I love the leg room and I can't figure out how AMC did it. My Rebel, Javelin, etc don't have the legroom this car has. My '62 Lincoln is no better than the Hornet. Maybe mine was ordered with longer tracks?. I don't know. But the head room and leg room is awesome compared to most cars I have, especially for a compact....

That's mine anyway..
Walt

'68 Rebel SST coupe. (X2)
'69 SC/Rambler (#7 on registry)
'69 Javelin SST Go-Pak 390-4 speed
'70 Rebel Machine 4spd
'72 Javelin AMX 360 ram-air
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 7:19pm
I barely fit in my 71 at 6 feet tall.  
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 9:13pm
I've had to modify seat tracks for tall customers in other cars,  back in the 70's, early 80s.
Just basically cut the mounting bolts off and tracks and welded them in a new position that moved the tracks back.  Usually had to add a extension to the front mounting point.

Of course , say goodbye to rear seat footroom.

And that made them not suitable for short drivers.

You might be able to adapt longer track rails from another car.

You do that now days for someone else,  you'd better have a good lawyer.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 8:41am
I tried sitting in a late 70s, early 80s Camaro once, I was shocked, my head stuck up through the open roof hatch.
The 67 Camaro I sold to begin Formula Ford racing had way more head room. MAXHEADROOM, ROFL !

I have lots of headroom in my 70 Javelin too, although I feel like I sit too high and would like to lower the seat, which with different mount brackets or after market seats and brackets that could be done. The seats are at least six inches above the floor of the car. The rear view mirrors in the Javelin are really at a bad elevation, I have to duck down to see under them, hate that too.

xRipx, you are 6 inches taller than me. I have never sat in a Hornet, I think the Javelin body would fit you  easier if these guys are saying that the Hornet isn't going to in stock form. However, If I were you I'd try finding one you could sit in and determine if it's possible to fit with different seats, mounted for you only if you cannot make them adjustable. Don't give up too quick.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 12:34pm
I'm 6'4" with 37" sleeve length. Owned couple muscle cars (68 Mustg FSTBK, 68 Camaro). My head touch the roof in both cars. Installed Recaro SE seats and '87 Fiero GT seats respectfully. Both seats are extremely low profile. The Fiero GT seats went back so far they bumped the rear seat! 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
knightflight View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 8:31pm
Notable...
I just had a friend come to my work and drove his '71 Hornet! I got in the car to check the leg room. It was different than mine, but not by a lot. I did end up putting the seat in his car to the most rearward track notch, as opposed to mine one notch forward. The legroom was fine in his and so was the headroom, but I will say his seat was worn, so I probably had more headroom than I should have had in his car.

So, I have a '74 Hornet X with bucket seats. His is a '71 sedan with a bench seat. Maybe that is enough to make a difference...?

Walt

'68 Rebel SST coupe. (X2)
'69 SC/Rambler (#7 on registry)
'69 Javelin SST Go-Pak 390-4 speed
'70 Rebel Machine 4spd
'72 Javelin AMX 360 ram-air
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 8:56pm
Anybody got any recommendations for a model that might better accommodate xRipX, then?

I don't know the AMCs of that era well enough to offer up an idea.  In fact the only smaller car I know that seems to seat tall folks well is the Mini-Cooper believe it or not.  One of the techs I used to work with was a big ol country boy (Brosk Lesner sized) and he got in and out of a Mini he was working on with no problem.

But a Mini isn't half as cool as an AMC, right guys?
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic