TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hornet Hydraulic Clutch Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hornet Hydraulic Clutch Conversion
    Posted: Apr/12/2014 at 4:33pm
Hey I'm having trouble with the hydraulic clutch conversion in my Hornet.
I have '71 Hornet with a '72 258 and an "external slave" AX15.
The pedals and clutch master are from an '84 Eagle. The slave is from a 95 Wrangler. They are connected via -3 AN hose and adapters on either end.
I have bled the clutch setup many times and there doesn't seem to be any bubbles or leaks. I have tried many variations of bleeding the clutch to make sure there aren't any bubbles in there. 
If I push the pedal down while holding the slave down in my hand, it seems like it's got good strength to it.
The flywheel used to be a fat '72 258 type but that seemed too big so I put on a '95 Jeep 4.0L and the geometry seemed to improve but it still won't disengage the clutch. 

Reverse light switch is not hooked up. There is no neutral safety switch.

I don't get it. Unhappy

Edited by 71hornet6 - Apr/12/2014 at 4:57pm
'71 FrankenHornet:
'72 258 '95 4.0L Head Holley 390CFM
AX15 with R154 gears 5 speed Hurst shifter
AMC20 rear axle Detroit TrueTrac
Dual Exhaust
Concord Discs Spirit AMX sway bars
1greasygt View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1greasygt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2014 at 5:05pm
    Assuming this is a new clutch disk replacement too.? Are you sure the disk isn't backwards?
    If you can shift gears when the engine is not running, but you can't when the engine is running, my bet would be that the disk is reversed.
greasy

83 Spirit GT

79 Ranchero GT
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2014 at 5:12pm
Yeah that would be funny. I'll double check it. I was very careful the first time I did it, but used the wrong flywheel. The second time I was pissed I had to drop the tranny again to put in the 4.0L flywheel and starter so I might've been distracted.

If I have to drop it AGAIN... Angry
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2014 at 6:42pm
Double checked the clutch slave for the umpteenth time.
I can shift into gear when it's stopped so maybe it's the clutch disc. I even stuck a socket extension in to push on the throwout fork... felt like it wouldn't move. Pressure plate seems very stiff.

Last ditch effort is I'm going to use my Eagle master cylinder rebuild kit. I can easily access the guts of the master so it's worth a shot.

Where in the clutch pedal travel is the clutch supposed to disengage? I might get that Novak adjustable throwout bearing if I have to take the damn thing down again.
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 6:49pm
Clutch actually works great. It was a pilot bushing that got marred during the installation of the trans.
It's easy to do this, because the AX15 is a VERY tight fit in the tunnel and the engine also wants to slump forward once the trans is disconnected so it's not at the right angle for insertion.

To fix: Push the clutch pedal and put it into gear with the parking brake on. Start the car. This should smooth out whatever marring was causing it to bind and give symptoms of a sticking clutch.
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic