TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hornet Drag Cars!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragdak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2014 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

Not really.  Trust me, that is it's best sideSmile
One of my Faves..
I hear ya. Check out my biuld. No good sides yet. LOL!
dragdak View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragdak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2014 at 6:25pm
Judo390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judo390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2014 at 7:06pm
The Beck Brothers Hornet's home strip was Eddyville, Iowa. They were very competitive throughout the midwest and were a big motivator for us small time AMC guys. Rumor from the day was that it was the former Shahan car. Does anyone know if there is any substance to that story? Pretty sure they were running Booth/Arons heads which they tried to sell me at one time. Fun car to watch.[/QUOTE]
KyleCim View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KyleCim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2014 at 7:16pm
In progress, engine being assembled currently by Carlquist Competition Engines in CT. 405 cube, molar rods, diamond pistons, 13:1 compression, ported eddy's, Indy intake. Dynamic built 727 w/trans brake and 5,000 stall converter, 9" w/strange guts, caltracs with mono-leafs and atco sliders and relocated leafs. Will run 28x10.5's and 275's.

Goal is mid/low 10's on motor, then slap on a Nitrous Outlet stinger plate and spray the house down.

71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2014 at 7:24pm
What's that in the background a 68 Orange Krate?
KyleCim View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KyleCim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2014 at 7:34pm
Top right is a re-pop Raleigh Chopper, top left is a 69 Schwinn Fastback, below that is a 68 Orange Krate and not visible in the pic to the left of the Orange Krate is a 72' Disc Brake Pea Picker. Have many more upstairs in the garage ranging from 2 Original Raleigh Choppers needing resto, Ross Apollo, Buzz Bike Eliminator misc Columbia's. I collected bikes with my father when I was younger before I got into cars and drag racing.
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2014 at 8:24pm

Edited by 71SC360 - Feb/19/2014 at 8:47pm
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2014 at 8:45pm
Here are a few pix of the earliest known built SC/360 Hornet. It's originally a mustard, 4 spd, ram air car with black serape interior. I bought it back around 1982 or 83 for $400 without an engine or trans. It was found on a farm in Western NY, somewhere South of Holcomb, NY. The vinyl top was not original. Sadly, these were the only pictures that I ever took of the car. I know that it's not a drag car but it is a Hornet with some interesting history...

Edited by 71SC360 - Feb/19/2014 at 8:48pm
dragdak View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragdak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2014 at 12:55am
 I know about unorignal tops. Mine has me scatching my head. Never seen one like this. When I strippied the paint this is what I found. I circled all the stud locations and [layed conect the dots. Any ideas?

It was the old drag on lady car. The supertricks came from one of John Hagans old cars. I pretty sure it was his last e body.

Edited by dragdak - Feb/20/2014 at 1:02am
dragdak View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragdak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2014 at 12:56am
Originally posted by 71SC360 71SC360 wrote:

Here are a few pix of the earliest known built SC/360 Hornet. It's originally a mustard, 4 spd, ram air car with black serape interior. I bought it back around 1982 or 83 for $400 without an engine or trans. It was found on a farm in Western NY, somewhere South of Holcomb, NY. The vinyl top was not original. Sadly, these were the only pictures that I ever took of the car. I know that it's not a drag car but it is a Hornet with some interesting history...

Do you still have the car. Would be an awsome project.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
  Share Topic