TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

HORN WORKS SOMETIMES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlieRAMBLER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HORN WORKS SOMETIMES
    Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 1:45pm
TOPIC MOVED TO ELECTRICAL

I HAVE A 1964 AMC RAMBLER CLASSIC 660 The horn works intermittently i check everything 
(horn relay ,,,good replaced it with new one same result) ,(horns hunk when apply power directly to it ) HORNS ARE GOOD
i took apart the horn pusher on the inside of car sterling wheel  ,check contact (spring thing ) is cleaned ,,,,, AND LOOKS IN GOOD SHAPE ,,ANY CLUE ALL THANKS FOR YOUR TIME ...Lamp

Edited by gtoman_us - Aug/31/2015 at 2:17pm
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 3:43pm
Checks your grounds. If it's intermittent it just may be a BAD ground. There are usually a couple common grounds generally on the  engine compartment fire wall. Clean them and you may solve your problem. If not one less thing to be concerned about. The grounds in old AMCs always become an easily fixed solution to many problems. LRDaum
LRDaum
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 3:56pm
well, there are two locations to check after locating and checking ground connections, the ground from the steering column harness as it is a junction that rarely is looked at. since your car is pre 67, the connections there could be lightly corroded and a simple disconnect and connect will remedy.

The other is the power that feeds the relay. usually is fed from the battery side of the solenoid.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 3:56pm
What about the brass contact ring down in the column under the directional switch? Sometimes they get dirty, greasy or corroded.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

What about the brass contact ring down in the column under the directional switch? Sometimes they get dirty, greasy or corroded.

That is a good call,  but he said the plunger contact is clean, so I would think he would have noticed the brass or copper ring for horn function.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
charlieRAMBLER1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlieRAMBLER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 7:46pm
THANKS A BUNCH i will try first thing A.M
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2015 at 1:23pm
also the ground across the rag joint ( connection of steering column to the steering box)

Chuck Page
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2015 at 9:08pm
As already stated it is mostly a ground issue.
1. Horn is properly grounded, clean the area where the horn bolts to the car
2. brass contact ring in the steering column
3. The horn button itself- on many cars the the backside of the horn button has contacts that slightly corrode. Although they look clean, clean them anyway. I have found this to be one of the biggest areas of poor contact resulting in intermittent contact.
4. Wire harness connectors- disconnect each connector and clean each wire contact on both side of the connector plug. 
5. Horn relay- but these usually do not fail intermittently
6. Internal horn contact ( looks like a set of distributor points). This requires the horn to be dismantled, contacts cleaned and reassembly.
Just some of the issues I have founds with intermittent horn operation.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2015 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by hassyfoto hassyfoto wrote:

As already stated it is mostly a ground issue.
1. Horn is properly grounded, clean the area where the horn bolts to the car
2. brass contact ring in the steering column
3. The horn button itself- on many cars the the backside of the horn button has contacts that slightly corrode. Although they look clean, clean them anyway. I have found this to be one of the biggest areas of poor contact resulting in intermittent contact.
4. Wire harness connectors- disconnect each connector and clean each wire contact on both side of the connector plug. 
5. Horn relay- but these usually do not fail intermittently
6. Internal horn contact ( looks like a set of distributor points). This requires the horn to be dismantled, contacts cleaned and reassembly.
Just some of the issues I have founds with intermittent horn operation.

Not to stir the flames just adding what you had listed...  He did state he was able to use the horns directly powering them on. So ground at the mounting is not an issue.  Also his relay was replaced,  without any change to correct his issue.

So far he stated that he'll check everything again.

So, outside of what everyone else and you have stated, I suggested the not so obvious.  Checking the junction for the turn signal switch and horn at the steering column and the power lead from the battery side of the solenoid that goes to the relay to feed the horns. That should cover it.  

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
1970Jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970Jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2015 at 10:29pm
I was having similar problems. Horn went from working to not working to going off when the wheel was turned. I ended up taking the contacts out, cleaning them with rubbing alcohol and putting a little bit of white lithium grease on them. Has worked perfect since. Maybe worth a shot?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic