TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Horn trouble shooting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2007 at 8:52pm
Sweet.  Good Job! 

Hint.  Put some never sieze on the steering wheel hub (toothed) so future pulling of the wheel is easy.
Art In Connecticut

Nothing Lasts Forever... If you give it enough TIME

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

1991 ERA Cobra Replica - 428 & Toploader

2016 Tesla P90D with Ludicrous Mode

2011 Volvo XC60
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2007 at 1:09am

excellent guide.  There's a spec for current draw (IIRC) that you're supposed to adjust for when playing with the adjusting screw on the back.  This info is listed in the TSM.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2007 at 1:28am
I typically use a pencil eraser to clean brass contacts, or even contacts on the back of dash panels, etc. Does a good job. Then, don't touch it with your fingers.............
12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2007 at 1:35pm
Billd:
As a ham radio operator and also a short wave radio tinkerer, a product that I have run into for cleaning anything that could carry electricity is called Cramolin R-5 DeOxIt contact cleaner.  Although not very well known, Cramolin R-5 DeOxIt is used in high level electronics applications and in professional radio and TV stations and it is by far the finest product to clean any contact materials that carry electricity.

It is made by Caig Laboratories in CA   www.deoxit.com

I use it on all connectors and bulbs and anything that could be used to carry electricity.  Cramolin DeOxIt is a nice weapon to have in the old car garage.

I ran across this product while cleaning up my old Zenith Trans-Oceanic SW radio a few years back.  The volume control rheostat would make all sorts of "crakle" noises in the speaker when you turned it.  A few shots of DeOxIt and viola... no more crakle and I will tell you that automagically the volume output of the radio increased perhaps 4 fold!

I used it on the dimmer rheostat on the AMX and again.. viola.... all of my gauge lights became a bit brighter and the fine tunability of the brightness was enhanced.  Before, they would be off then bing... they would be on and then bing on full...  now there is a nice gradual sweep of intensity.  A miraculous product.

One can will probably last you quiet a while.  And I even use it on wire and terminals prior to soldering.  It is not a flux but somehow works.  Wipe it off with a tissue prior to soldering so there is no splat...  Also spray it on any connectors in the car and even on door jam switches and in light sockets.  I would not use it as a food seasoning or on steak or the grill..Wink

Edited by 12Gauge - Aug/01/2007 at 1:28am
Art In Connecticut

Nothing Lasts Forever... If you give it enough TIME

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

1991 ERA Cobra Replica - 428 & Toploader

2016 Tesla P90D with Ludicrous Mode

2011 Volvo XC60
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2007 at 1:11am
Ah, a ham! Cool.
I learned the eraser trick when building computers in the '80s.
It used to be that weird things happened with cards and memory when connections were less than perfect - thermal conditions, etc. and you removed the card or the RAM and burnished the connections - cleaned them with an eraser, brushed them off (not touching them with your fingers) and reinserted and all was fine - usually.
I think it was actually a computer journal or something....
I've used it for years. It's a very mild abrasive.

I'm sure that product is more professional and better for delicate stuff.
But you know, that Rambler mentality keeps poking through! Wink
Had to assume there was a good product for that purpose!
Since I still build and repair computers and other electrical things, it's good to keep in mind.

An electrician turned me on to a product to put on connections in electrical boxes, esp with there's a mix of metals. I've used it on battery posts and light bulbs as well, although I usually use the silicon dielectric stuff on bulb sockets - it's a dream there!
McDonaldIsland View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McDonaldIsland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 5:37pm
I found a Corvette horn rebuild kit at ZIP Corvette parts https://www.zip-corvette.com/ which is a direct drop in for the Javelin/AMX horns. At least the 1971 horns that I'm working on. There is a basic kit which contains gaskets and rivets for $25 and a deluxe kit which also contains new diaphragms and other parts. I looked into having them rebuilt and it's a $200 endeavor.
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 5:54pm
We need a section (sticky) for just troubleshooting.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 11:50pm
FWIW, my primary automotive instructor was (among other things) a long term Porsche / Audi tech, and had deep connections at Ford and a couple other companies.  He said they all told him the pencil eraser trick leaves a residue that can damage contacts over the long term and that something like what 12guage recommends or CRC Contact Cleaner was a far better option.

EDIT: This is about the only thing I'd second guess Bill on though.Big smile  

Edited by rms827 - Apr/21/2018 at 11:57pm
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic